VirusBarrier X5 crashing Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by doobs, Aug 30, 2009.

1. doobs macrumors regular

Has anyone else had problems with VirusBarrier X5 on Snow Leopard? Snow Leopard crashes every time that VirusBarrier X5 runs a system scan.

2. airwaves123 macrumors newbie

Yep -- same issue here. Crash on every scan, usually once Intego VirusBarrier 10.5.9 reaches 80-90% of scanned files.

Placed the report into Intego, no response so far other than an uninstall/reinstall -- which did not help.

Did you manage to get the issue tackled?

3. airwaves123 macrumors newbie

VirusBarrier 10.5.10 improves the situation -- now tolerating a connected iPhone w/o a crash, but still freezing the computer after 97% of the sccan...

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Why not just delete it? It's a useless, bloated piece of junk anyways, and there's really nothing that it can catch that's worth worrying about.

jW

5. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

There's something very funny about a guy called Mal telling us not to worry about Malware.. :p

But you're probably right. There's a limit to how much protection anti-virus software can provide without knowing a virus's signature features; which it can't know until there are Mac viruses out there in circulation.

We're probably as well off waiting unless/until a Mac virus has been found circulating in the wild, then installing anti-virus software.

6. Avro macrumors regular

Avro

I installed VirusBarrier X5 again last night. It has always been a problem in the past and I usually uninstall after a day. Last time it identified my Lotus Notes emails from work as viruses. This time it gets part way through a scan and then causes a Kernel Panic NFG (Not Frightfully Good). :mad:

AppZapped within less than 24 hours.

7. acosmichippo macrumors regular

i recently acquired virusbarrier x5 through macHeist for free. It must have worked great for a couple of weeks if i remember correctly, but then i started getting apparently random kernel panics anywhere from 1-4 times a day. honestly, i hadn't noticed if they were in relation to VBx5 scans, so it didn't occur to me that it might be a problem until i uninstalled about 3 other (and more recently installed) programs.

I finally just uninstalled it about 20 minutes ago, and now that i see there are known snow leopard issues, i'm hopeful i finally have it taken care of.

I'm just glad i don't have to fight the company for my money back.

8. aaaargh! macrumors newbie

It did something awful to my hard drive with OS 10.6!

I checked for new virus definitions and got a window that said something like "Net update has new virus definitions, would you like to install them and restart your computer now? Of course I clicked the YES button. BIG MISTAKE.
    The mac shut down and tried to restart but only got as far as the grey screen and apple logo with the spinning gear. It also showed a new progress indicator that I've never seen before. This takes maybe a minute or minute and a half then the mac just shuts down. Hit the start button, same thing over and over again. It won't start up in safe mode either. It will start in target disk mode but it won't mount on my spare mac. Tried to run disk utility from the OS 10.6 install disc. It says the Mac HD drive cannot complete verify and needs to be repaired but Disk utility can't fix it (it says I need to backup data and reformat the hard drive). Disc Utility doesn't even recognize an operating system on the drive! I keep a time machine backup so I'll be ok but what pain! I paid over $70 for this bundle with netbarrier and virusbarrier X5.
    Now it won't start up from my Tech Tool pro 4 disc (That was a long shot anyway) so Clean Install Here I Come!