VirusBarrier x6

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AngelFir3, Dec 2, 2010.

1. AngelFir3 macrumors member

AngelFir3

i installed VirusBarrier X6 and then after a few days it asked me if i wanted to allow changes to "port 80" i pushed no, not nowing what it was. NOW i cant get onto my safari or mac mail, please someone help me

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd uninstall it and see if that fixes your problem. Antivirus software really isn't necessary, so there is no need to run it.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Totally spot on, most Mac antivirus solutions cause more problems than they fix.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

5. wessew macrumors member

I had Virus Barrier installed and had to uninstall it. I found that it interferred with the ability of my two Apple TV's to sync. I tried numerous settings to little avail. As soon as I uninstalled it, there were no more issues with syncing. In addition, there was a signficant amount of time spent downloading and installing weekly updates, etc. You would think that the environment out there is virulent from the way the program acts. I do protect my Windows virtual machines systematically but we do not yet need this kind of protection for the Mac. Exercising good common sense and judgment with website and email attachments, I have never had a virus or malware issue with the Mac.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Uninstall it, you really dont need AV but if you are connecting to a business/school network that insists on anti-virus then use Clam Xav, it's very light and unobtrusive compared to anything else.

8. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

9. AngelFir3 thread starter macrumors member

AngelFir3

VirusBarrier X6

thank you guys, i did uninstall it and thats when it pissed about. i had to resort to reinstalling Mac OS X. i needed to do it anyway.

i kinda have another question, coz i reinstalled OS X i lost everything (DER) well i mean like programs like DivX. i cant now play some films that are .MKV, please anyone can point me in the right direction please do so thank you again

10. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While you may have had other reasons, here's no need to reinstall OS X simply to remove a program:

To manually remove an application and all associated files

12. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

You can redownload the Divix player from their site.