Viruses/Antivirus for mac. Useful or Useless?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ceezy3000, Feb 15, 2009.

1. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

so lately after switching from windows to mac i've been suffering from Virus paranoia, running scan after scan every day on my pc. now i ask myself, should i have an antivirus for mac?i realize there are only trojans for mac and you have to type in your password to get them but should we run antivirus software as good cititzens? to protect windows users? to stop the spread of viruses? Voice your opinions and what antivirus is best for mac and if we even need one.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Useless. Also, please follow our rules and search before posting.

http://mroogle.*************

Because you can't possibly think you're the only Switcher to suffer from virus anxiety. :)

We have none. Live free!

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This does get asked quite a bit and there area several threads about it. As suggested a quick search will reveal the opinions of MR members.

If you are concerned about passively passing on a virus to the PC community there is ClamXav for just such a purpose.

Welcome to the Mac community and enjoy the freedom.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

Other than ClamXav, the time I would recommend an antivirus program for a Mac is if you have contract or regulatory rules about having A/V software on all computers.

Otherwise, I just wouldn't bother -- as of now, its not worth the system slowdown.