Viruses from DMG files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ev0d3vil, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Ev0d3vil macrumors 6502

Hi guys, my gatekeeper setting is set to default. Is it possible to get viruses from DMG files ? and how do i scan them for viruses or spyware?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No known virus affects Mac OS X.
    Spyware, maybe - from a dmg file? Don't know. A brief search told me it's not likely.

3. KALLT macrumors 601

DMG files are disk images; they are containers, like ZIP files. Think of them as virtual CDs. They are not themselves dangerous, at least I don’t think that the process of opening them executes any code. Potentially dangerous is what they carry, namely programs. Gatekeeper checks if programs are code-signed by the developer, but this check will only be performed automatically when you obtained the disk image via a browser or like. If you want some extra security, then you should download a malware scanner.

For macOS Sierra, developers can code-sign the disk image as well and vouch for all the contents. This gives you some extra certainty, provided that you download the disk image from a trusted source and make sure that it is signed by the person or organisation you downloaded it from.

For malware in general, you should have a look at this guide: http://www.thesafemac.com/mmg/