Viruses

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by crtosi, Feb 23, 2011.

1. crtosi macrumors newbie

I bought an IMac because i thought i woudnt have to worry about viruses. Now on the MAC page, there is this app for virus protection taht will cost me about 60 dollards.
    What's everyone`s thoughts on this?
    What do I do?
    Thanks a lot:confused:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No need for any AV software on your Mac unless you are wanting to prevent the transfer of Windows malware to Windows users

3. simsaladimbamba

4. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

You don't need to pay money for A/V software. SOPHOS is free and has recently been made available for Mac's.
    But this is more to help protect your Window's friends, rather than yourself. I don't believe there are any active viruses for Mac's currently in the wild.
    Having A/V is not a bad idea, just be careful which one's you choose. Some are just bloat and adware that hog the CPU.

5. jljue macrumors regular

I second Sophos. I've only been using it for 3 months, but it seems pretty good so far and pretty light (not a resource hog). I was using F-Prot for Mac before then (also free and pretty light), but it didn't ever remind me that my registration was up and that I needed to re-register. I hope that I didn't pass any viruses to any Windows users for 2-3 months. :apple:

6. rickyalan macrumors newbie

it seems that no news indicates virus on mac system

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

why waste your time with AV software ... there are no viruses running wild for Mac

8. dime21 macrumors 6502

Anti-virus software for OSX is like putting on a condom before you jerk off.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Anti-virus is as useful for protecting your Mac as having a bomb shelter to protect you from purple left-handed English-speaking 12-feet-tall frogs carrying machine guns. No need to protect against something that doesn't exist.

Read the link that simsaladimbamba posted: