Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac3387

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Hello all,

I accidentally downloaded a file on my MAC earlier today that I had thought was going to be a PDF but turned out to be an EXE file. Once I downloaded it, I immediately deleted it and emptied it out of trash; however, I am concerned about any potential viruses that may have been in the EXE. I have Parallels installed on this computer, but it wasn't running at the time the EXE file was downloaded. Is it possible any virus associated the EXE could have infected the virtual machine? Also, is it possible that flash drives currently connected with the MAC could spread any virus associated with the EXE, even if the EXE wasn't directly downloaded to it and has been since deleted?

My apologies for the amateur-ish questions; I am not used to dealing with virus issues on MACs. Thanks.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
There are no known viruses out in the wild for OS X, however if you use Windows in Bootcamp or have Windows RUNNING in a VM and downloaded it directly there it could be a problem, but you did not have a VM running so don't worry.
An EXE file does nothing in OS X, so your Flash drives are clean.

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ - Mac Guides

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
There are no known viruses out in the wild for OS X, however if you use Windows in Bootcamp or have Windows RUNNING in a VM and downloaded it directly there it could be a problem, but you did not have a VM running so don't worry.

http://drtech.bangordailynews.com/2...s/busting-the-myth-apple-macs-do-get-viruses/
http://drtech.bangordailynews.com/2013/04/14/new-products/busting-the-myth-apple-macs-do-get-viruses/

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Your mac won't run EXEs so if it is an EXE file you are fine.

edit:
there is malware out there and those telling you not to worry will be amongst the first to get infected when the pandemic eventually hits... :)

Most importantly: keep software up to date. be paranoid. keep the firewall turned on and block flash / Java unless absolutely required.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

You really did not read my post did you, I said there are no Known viruses for OS X.
I also did not say Macs can not be infected with viruses, they can but up until now OS X has not seen any!

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That article is complete hogwash. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.

Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
You really did not read my post did you, I said there are no Known viruses for OS X.
I also did not say Macs can not infected with viruses, they can but up until now OS X has been not seen any!

We can play word games all day, but the fact is that malware does exist, and that cross-platform java and flash exploits also exist.

Telling people "there are no viruses, don't worry about it" is being a bit misleading at best.

With Java and flash you need to be concerned on ANY platform. Also, humans are fallible, and sometimes fall for trojans as well.

Doesn't matter so much what vector the infection arrived via once you are infected.

Whilst there is less need for a scanner on OS X, it may save your bacon IF you are fooled by a trojan (humans are not infallible), or if one of your trusted websites gets exploited.

edit:
I do network security for a living so my viewpoint is probably different to most here....

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
We can play word games all day, but the fact is that malware does exist, and that cross-platform java and flash exploits also exist.

Telling people "there are no viruses, don't worry about it" is being a bit misleading at best.

With Java and flash you need to be concerned on ANY platform. Also, humans are fallible, and sometimes fall for trojans as well.

Doesn't matter so much what vector the infection arrived via once you are infected.

Whilst there is less need for a scanner on OS X, it may save your bacon IF you are fooled by a trojan (humans are not infallible), or if one of your trusted websites gets exploited.

edit:
I do network security for a living so my viewpoint is probably different to most here....

This was about viruses, and if that is the case I stand by my point.

Yes, Java has holes, yes there are Tojans but if anybody reads that link and switches off Java for instance there is a (very) low chance you get "infected".
Hell, I've been on OS X since 10.0b and never got anything, now, that says something.
(And, I am always connected and been to fishy sites, even opened EXE virus files in Hex editors!)

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
edit:

Yeah you're the guy that blocks checking my email and looking at some websites at work for 'security seasons'. I mean, I guess I see the purpose. If there are PC's and macs networked together, a virus could get in, but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna be annoyed by the inconvenience! :p

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If there are PC's and macs networked together, a virus could get in, but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna be annoyed by the inconvenience! :p
Except that no Windows malware can run on OS X and no OS X malware can run on Windows. 3rd party antivirus apps on OS X offer no protection beyond that available by simply practicing safe computing. Of course, things can change in the future, but that's been the case since OS X was released over 11 years ago.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
Except that no Windows malware can run on OS X and no OS X malware can run on Windows. 3rd party antivirus apps on OS X offer no protection beyond that available by simply practicing safe computing. Of course, things can change in the future, but that's been the case since OS X was released over 11 years ago.

I mean, you could still download an .exe file on a mac that ends up on the network that some pc user clicks on. That's all I was saying.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I mean, you could still download an .exe file on a mac that ends up on the network that some pc user clicks on. That's all I was saying.

And, that is not your problem, it is the problem on the Windows side, they should have a virus scanner on their System, not you.
This is my opinion of course.

Edit: and even if it is on your System it can't copy itself to the PC, only if you copy it yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.