Viruses?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TheAngusBurger, Apr 4, 2008.

1. TheAngusBurger macrumors member

Just curious what would happen if you got a virus on the Windows side that wiped your hard drive-Would it destroy the Mac side too, or would that remain intact?

I have enough common sense to avoid viruses anyway (SiteAdvisor, yay), but I was just curious.

-Teh Burgeh

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if you install Windows on a seperate partition using Boot Camp it will only affect the Windows parititon.

if you install Windows using a virtual machine with either Parallels or VMware a virus will only affect the virtual hard drive which is a file on your Mac's hard drive/partition (if you have Boot Camp)… BUT Mac OS X does not understand Windows exceutables so it will not affect your Mac, even if the virtual hard disk resides on your Mac's hard drive.

this is a common misconception for new Mac users. i know my brother told me not to install Windows on my Mac as i would just get viruses again which is exactly what i was trying to avoid... but i sorted him out hehe :)