Virus's From Mac->Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by R0ck1t, Apr 11, 2007.

1. R0ck1t macrumors member

R0ck1t

Lately we've been having problems with our internet and BT Hub, anyway by dad seems to think that if i managed to download a virus although it would not affect me it it could 'mve itself' around our LAN and infect other computers. Personally i think is ridiculus because the virus would have to be running to do this.
    Anyway does anyone know of a way of this being possible or does anyone happen to be an expert on BT Hubs?
    Cheers for any help you can give.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

A Word or Excel Macro Virus can be transmitted this way but they are very rare these days and basically harmless. I'd be amazed if a BT Home Hub can get infected with anything: it can't store any damaging code across reboots (or probably at all).

3. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

A Microsoft Office virus will not send itself from your computer to another on the network. You could email it to them but then it really isn't the Macs fault anyway.

Regardless, for a virus on your computer to be transmitted to your Dad's PC, you have to have a vector and right now there is no such animal between Macs and PCs or, more generally, between Macs and anything.