virusy link- what the hell is this?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by decksnap, Jul 19, 2008.

1. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

My mom typed in 'five oaks winery modesto california' into google, and clicked on the first link. It was some obnoxious Windows-style virus/anti-virus who-the-hell knows page that tries to get you download an .exe.

Anybody know anything more about this? It not only freaked her out, but she can't understand why it would come up first under that google search.

This is the link if you dare take a look.
    www.lalumera.it/immagini/_notes/_images/fival/five-oaks-vineyards-modesto-california.html

EDIT: Nevermind... the link doesn't even go to the same place anymore (two minutes later)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I get 404'D. Not that an .exe can even DO anything in OS X anyway. It's meaningless.

3. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

Besides the fact that my link was bad, I just went there five minutes later and it resolves to a totally different page. Anyway, the first one was crazy I swear! :D

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It does for me. The site pretends to scan my computer and finds all sorts of malware. It then downloads a file called setup_100511_3_.exe. The utility is supposed to remove the malware that have been detected. Of course, all of this is aimed at Windows users. There is no way that a Mac or its user could be harmed in any way. Windows users beware. You should never download unsolicited offers of antiviral software.

5. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Wow, that was pretty silly looking, especially on a Mac.