Visa commercial video effect help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by heron88, Aug 15, 2008.

1. heron88 macrumors 6502

I would like to know how to make the effect that visa uses in many of their olympic commercials. Not the yellowness, but the super slow mo. I thought that maybe it could be high speed camera but they have the same effect on videos from a long time ago that are shot on the normal sports cameras. An example of the effect can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7W45Fr6NRA

Thanks!

2. mcmillyonaire macrumors newbie

Its not an easy effect to recreate. The swimmer is a real static image (processed of course). The water is computer animated. Each layer moves at different speeds to create a motion effect.
    The best choice is to use motion or aftereffects. The computer animated stuff would need to be done in a 3-d program.

3. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I expect the effect is done with a compositing program like Shake or AfterEffects.

As I understand it (and there is no shortage of folks here at MR who can flesh out/correct me)
    you get your source footage,
    isolate the person into a separate track,
    clone any parts of the background that may be revealed by the motion parallax you are going to create (not tough here due to blurring),
    and then use Shake to composite the scene with computer generated camera motion that creates the parallax (where it seems that the background moves behind the subject).

As you suspected, the color work is peanuts compared to the compositing!:)

4. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I really don't think it would be that hard really, as long as you have After Effects.

As others have said, it's just images layered on top of each other. In After Effects you can have images at different positions along the Z axis as well, and just truck a camera toward/away from the images to get the 3D effect.

5. heron88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help guys. I couldve never figured that out on my own

6. mcmillyonaire macrumors newbie

so did you get a chance to try out making the effect??

7. heron88 thread starter macrumors 6502

I need to get my pro first. My computer right now is crap