Visible screws on the iPhone 3G - Unavoidable or Choice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arcsbite, Jul 2, 2008.

1. arcsbite Guest

After seeing the video I though this was odd, apple insider confirmed my oddness.

[​IMG]

Do you think this is a calculated choice? for repair or replaceable battery?
    or just apple not being able to use their usual "No screw seen" practice for one reason or another?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The back panel is one piece. If you take the black bottom off of the original iPhone, there are screws holding the metal part of the back on. With the 3G iPhone having only one panel in the back, it has to be secured somehow.

3. yode macrumors 6502

Well the screws are recessed so you it will be hard to see them unless you look DIRECTLY underneath them, and they are probably there for easier access to the internals. If anything, it will make replacing the battery/DYI mods easier to do. Also apple has visible screws on a lot of products.. like the macbook pro I am typing on right now...

4. thevol macrumors member

i really hope they are there to allow easy rear case removal for battery changes. this could also be used by apple to lower repair costs by not replacing the back everytime there is a warranty claim.

5. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

I hope we can buy aftermarket back cases this way I can use my phone naked and then just replace the case when it gets beat up.

6. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

they were available for the first gen iphone as well. Though i can tell you getting the first gen phone back together was not very fun