Visible system directories in root directory - Can these be deleted?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EugW, Sep 5, 2017.

1. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

On my 2017 27" iMac with Sierra 10.12.6, an mds directory is visible in the root directory. Why?

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 8.44.03 PM.png

On my 2009 13" MacBook Pro with High Sierra Beta 9, the vm directory is visible in the root directory. It has a currently unused swapfile in it. Why?

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 8.50.28 PM.png

Note that this latter machine used a patched installer to get High Sierra installed.

Both machines work perfectly fine. Can either of these directories be safely deleted? If not, should they be re-hidden?

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

If you want to try deleting them, go right ahead.
    But I wouldn't do it without a fully-bootable cloned backup close-at-hand.
    You might need it!

3. EugW thread starter macrumors 603

EugW

For other reasons, I did a full clean install (for other reasons) of the second machine (which is the High Sierra 2009 MBP). It still has that "vm" directory visible.

4. mfram macrumors 65816

You probably turned on the flag to show hidden files at some point. I bet that’s why they are showing up.

5. EugW thread starter macrumors 603

EugW

On the first machine, it was a transfer from an old Mac, but due to version differences, I ended up having to do an upgrade to get it to run on the new machine. I did have some permissions issues (like the fact I could not change the home page in Safari), so I ended up doing a full recovery install over top (retaining my data). Despite this, the visible directories are there.

I see no permissions fixing options in Disk Utility.

6. chown33 macrumors 604

7. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

My MacBook Air with SSD drive has a visible vm directory. I guess that directory has to do with APFS and Apple just forgot to set the hidden flag, or something. Only SSD drives are converted to APFS by default. APFS has vm as separate partition, which is used solely to hold the swapfile image. You probably don't want to (try to) remove that. The system probably won't allow it anyways.

Neither my MacBook Air nor iMac has mds as hidden or visible directory. It could be some kind of left over directory from older macOS. You could try to move it away from it's place and see what happens. mds and mdworker are processes that handle metadata creation and indexing for Spotlight. I doubt getting rid of that folder is dangerous for the system.

If you want to see hidden files in Finder, you can press shift+cmd+. (that's a dot).