Visio alternative on Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by anjin, Dec 29, 2008.

1. anjin macrumors newbie

Does anyone know of some good Visio alternatives for OSX? I'm trying to wean off of Boot Camp/VMWare on my Macbook as I often need to jump between Adobe apps, spreadsheets, documents, web design, etc.. and need all of my system resources. Visio is one of those programs I can't do without due to my job.

Thanks in advance to any suggestions!

2. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

3. Brammy macrumors 65816

As an aside, is this usually something the Apple Retail Store carries? I stopped by the Boston store and they didn't have it.

4. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

OmniGraffle Professional is the alternative, but unfortunately it's not a good alternative. Visio is one of the few Windows programs I have installed on my Mac.

5. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

OmniGraffle is more of a jack-of-all-trades. I've made flow charts on it... but I've also used it to make conference posters, fill out PDF forms, design business cards, etc.

I've not used Visio so I don't know the specific features it has, but if the OP just wants to make boxes and have arrows pointing to them, Graffle's hard to beat.

Keep in mind, though, that only the Professional version has Visio file format support.

6. anjin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll grab the demo and see if it fits my needs.

Related question: Would running Visio 2007 n Crossover Office be stable enough to bother with - if 2007 is even supported?

7. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

Compatibility results with CrossOver have been mixed.

Here's a link to the compatibility page

Also, here are some instructions from a forum post that have helped some with installation:

As with many apps in CrossOver, the compatibility is touch-and-go.

8. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I tried it and agree. I haven't found a good alternative so I use the real thing in Fusion.