Visio alternative?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RightMACatU, Sep 28, 2015.

1. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Any recommendations for a replacement of MS Visio on OS X? Would also be cool to have a matching iPad app.
    Thanks.

2. campyguy macrumors 68030

The apps I use are OmniGraffle Pro, however, I use the older v. 5 OS X app as I prefer the older interface. I also snagged the license for $50 on CL a couple of years ago. The Omni Group's free sync engine is a real bonus IMHO.

AFAIK the only other option available that has both Mac and iOS apps that works fairly well is LucidChart. It's a subscription service - I tried it and went back to OmniGraffle.

A Mac-only option that's an excellent app is ConceptDraw Pro or the full Office suite - they've been around for over 20 years and supported Macs since at least OS 7, maybe longer than that. A few of my friends have been using CD for 10+ years on the Mac platform. They may offer an iOS app, but I haven't checked. FWIW, a "license" gets you a Mac install and a Windows install.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OmniGraffle Pro is what I use and I think that's probably the strongest alternative imo.

4. apolkowski macrumors member

Poland, Warsaw and Masurian Lake District
  5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It has a flowcharting app but the last time I used it, that application was rather weak compared to Omnigraffle and Visio.

7. RightMACatU thread starter macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Thank you all for your comments. Now waiting for an OmniGraffle bundle :D

8. campyguy macrumors 68030

IMHO, don't hold your breath for a bundle of the Mac apps. Your best bet is to cruise Lifehacker for discounted iTS/MAS gift cards for US buyers and buy via the MAS. The iOS apps have a bundle, but I've never seen a deal on the MAS or Omni Store apps. I bought a couple of iTS gift cards just a few weeks ago at a 25% discount, which is pretty rare, but 20% cards are fairly common as I saw a deal earlier this week. Cheers!