Vision issues make me torn between Mini and Ipad 4. Which?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jaybar, Dec 28, 2012.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502

jaybar

Hi

I have had time with both the iPad 4 and mini. Because of my visual impairment, which makes me myopic (viewing very closely), I find the ipad mini to be blurry. Depnding on what I am doing, I may also have to enlarge text, pinch or move.

The Ipad 4 is MUCH clearer. I am more likely to be able to see the whole layout with a minimum amount of hand gestures.

What I am bothered with is the weight. My pad and quill case adds to the wight. It did also add to the weight of the mini when I tried and returned that.

I am having second thoughts about the viability of purchasing the mini again.

What would be ideal is to have the iPad 4 for in-home use and the mini for less frequent use out of the house. However, I can only afford one device.

Has anyone faced similar issues? The iPad 4 is easier for me to view, but much heavier.

What might you select if you had to choose between them?

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I think the answer is pretty obvious - you should keep the iPad 4. If weight is the primary detriment, I'd suggest getting rid of the Pad and Quill case in favor of something like a smart cover. That should make the iPad 4 feel infinitely more portable. I don't know exactly what the P&Q case weighs, but I had a Dodocase for my iPad 1, and the P&Q is beefier than that, so I'd guess about 1/2lb - that's a tremendous amount of extra weight and bulk to carry around.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

My SO has been blind since birth (well, 2 days after, due to malpractice), plus just also had an ocular evisceration in one of her eyes due to glaucoma setting in after the malpractice. After a few corneal transplants, she can barely see (read: noseprints on the screen of her MBP to see, and that is with the resolution dropped to 1024x768 stretched).

She picked up an iPad 2 when it came out, and loves it. After looking at the iPad mini, she said that while it was light, the screen being that small and harder for her to read outside of a lot of pinching and swiping was a dealbreaker, so she would have stuck with the iPad 4 if she were purchasing now.

I can see where your reservations are, especially from how her vision is; In this case, weight would be too big of a price for you to pay if your ability to use the device takes too much effort. The iPad4 might be the way for you to go, as while it might be heavier, you could still actually use it without too much effort.

BL.