Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDFan

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Got the low battery warning on my Vision Pro. Luckily I have a 2nd battery which I hadn't opened. Connected it and it doesn't come charged. I then connected the 1st battery to the VP charger and left it for a few minutes. VP worked for a while, longer than it was left just charging, but then got the low battery warning.

Even with the supplied charger connected the battery will eventually completely discharge when in use. I would assume that with lower capacity chargers, such as an airplane USB port the extended battery time when connected to power will be even less.

Now have the 2nd battery charging via a USB port. Will see if it charges overnight.

Ensyed

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
It seems to discharge of left connected to a switched off AVP. So I disconnect at night before putting it away.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I fast charge both my Apple battery packs with my 140W MBP charger.

It's super duper fast!

Haven't even opened the 30W that came with it.

Reactions: G5isAlive

HDFan

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
So I left the 2nd battery connected to USB overnight. After 12 hours is was charged to 80%. Conclusion:

1. Use the Apple supplied or other charger to get the fastest charge
2. When in use the battery will discharge faster than it charges using the Apple charger. Unknown if a different charger would make a difference
3. It will charge via a standard USB port but it will be very slow to charge

Roadcrew

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2019
It sounds like you may have a defective charger, or some other issue going on that's resulting in much-higher-than-normal power usage. Mine never gets below 100% while plugged in to the included charger, and I haven't seen anyone else talking about a similar issue.

Reactions: G5isAlive and HDFan

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
So I left the 2nd battery connected to USB overnight. After 12 hours is was charged to 80%. Conclusion:

1. Use the Apple supplied or other charger to get the fastest charge
2. When in use the battery will discharge faster than it charges using the Apple charger. Unknown if a different charger would make a difference
3. It will charge via a standard USB port but it will be very slow to charge
While I have not yet used Apple's supplied 30W charger, I have used other chargers (they're what I already have), and all of them can supply more than 30W. With these, he battery will charge with the AVP in use. I'll often do that to top off the battery.

Note that the battery can use up to 60W+. Apple is just being cheap by supplying the slowest usable charger (30W).

Edit: just checked, one of my chargers -- which did charge the AVP battery while using the AVP -- is only a 30W charger. You probably should get your charger checked if it can't charge the AVP battery while using the AVP.

Last edited:

zerocustom1989

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
I’ve read Airplane seat outlets tend to shut off if you try to pull more than 30W from them, so they included the max charger for that situation.

HDFan

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Mine never gets below 100% while plugged in to the included charger,

My conditions were a bit different. The problem occurred when the battery was low (<20%). At higher charge levels when attached to power the battery will go to full charge even when use. Trying again once the battery is low.

Find it interesting that if you pick up the battery the charge indication light turns on briefly. It's not just a simple battery.

arfung

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2015
The supply charger is only 30 W. If you want a faster charge, use a 60 W charger or battery pack that can output 60 W through its USB-C. I had an old high capacity battery, but it only output 30 W through the USB-C so I’m getting a new high capacity battery that can output a higher rate in order to fast charge the AVP battery when in use.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
I let my battery drop to 20% and then connected a 30W charger to it while using the AVP (I didn't use the Apple charger, though). The charge level went up slowly and I stopped paying attention until around 55%. Using a USB power meter, the battery + AVP was using up ~29W the entire time. No games were being used, though. This was with web browsing, youtube videos via safari, and Narwhal 2.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Not true. I've let mine get down to about 15% then plugged it in with the supplied 30W charger, continued using it, and the charge went back to 100%. I've tested this out several times, and it always charges faster than it drains.

HDFan

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Ran a 2nd test today and the battery did charge up from the 20% level.

So with sufficient power from a power supply it will charge. USB ports likely will not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.