Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that three more Apple Arcade games will be available on the Vision Pro headset starting this Thursday, March 28.

Altos-Odyssey-The-Lost-City-Vision-Pro.jpeg
Alto's Odyssey: The Lost City on Apple Vision Pro

The titles coming to the Vision Pro tomorrow include popular endless runner game Alto's Odyssey: The Lost City, hand-drawn adventure game Gibbon: Beyond the Trees, and physics-based puzzler Spire Blast. All three games are already available on Apple Arcade on other devices, including the iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV.

"On March 28, players can soar above windswept dunes in a fantastical place far from home in Alto's Odyssey: The Lost City, dive into an immersive jungle with a family of gibbons in the 2022 Apple Design Award winning Gibbon: Beyond the Trees, and collapse vibrant towers of all shapes and sizes that appear in their physical space in the fun physics-based puzzle game Spire Blast," said Apple, in an email about the games.

Accessible through the App Store, Apple Arcade is a subscription-based service that provides access to hundreds of games across the iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple TV, and Vision Pro, all free of ads and in-app purchases. The service received its first price increase last year, with U.S. pricing rising from $4.99 to $6.99 per month.

Article Link: Vision Pro Getting More Apple Arcade Games, Including Alto's Odyssey

Last edited:

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
If you have to keep making the 👌 motion to play Alto's Odyssey... I dunno, I feel like that would lead to some weird finger injury given how many times you have to jump in that game. 😅

JordanCautious

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2023
When will Apple realize that they need to take the Steam Approach and make a First-party AR/VR title in order to showcase what their AR/VR Headset can do? Meta does it. Steam does it. PlayStation does it. Apple doesn't. Either buy a Game Development Studio or start one. It's only by developing a game for the headset themselves that they will realize what they need to add or refine to make it easier for others

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Like what? I bought it for gaming and content consumption lol. for serious work it functions as a Mac display
I’m just as productive on my iPad Pro than on my Mac.
The Vision Pro is lacking support for some iPad apps that are needed:
• Swift Playgrounds
• Garage Band
• Photos app is very primitive, there’s not even an option to crop a photo.
• FaceTime doesn’t have the option to setup meetings and invite users connecting with a Web Browser (there may be a workaround, but so far I haven’t found it).
• Xcode would be a great addition to avoid dependence on a Mac.

There’s more, I just can’t think of it at this time.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I’m just as productive on my iPad Pro than on my Mac.
The Vision Pro is lacking support for some iPad apps that are needed:
• Swift Playgrounds
• Garage Band
• Photos app is very primitive, there’s not even an option to crop a photo.
• FaceTime doesn’t have the option to setup meetings and invite users connecting with a Web Browser (there may be a workaround, but so far I haven’t found it).
• Xcode would be a great addition to avoid dependence on a Mac.

There’s more, I just can’t think of it at this time.
Ah my iPad Pro is still mostly a toy for me except when i use it as a second Mac display. I just don’t find iOS sufficient for serious productivity

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2011
When will Apple realize that they need to take the Steam Approach and make a First-party AR/VR title in order to showcase what their AR/VR Headset can do? Meta does it. Steam does it. PlayStation does it. Apple doesn't. Either buy a Game Development Studio or start one. It's only by developing a game for the headset themselves that they will realize what they need to add or refine to make it easier for others

Given their approach with Apple TV+ it’s so noticeable that they have no understanding of gaming. Or they do and it’s simply deliberate. Which is just weird as they consistency talk about how powerful their chips are, and how great it is for gaming.

As you say - they need their own first party titles. They need ‘anchor tenants’ to expand the pie and encourage other companies to follow.

If Apple had a stream of exclusives which were outstanding, it would attract a new demographic.

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
I don't have an AVP but sneaky sasquatch on this......... probably wouldn't make me get it, but I would love to try it

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Like what? I bought it for gaming and content consumption lol. for serious work it functions as a Mac display
That you MUST already own a Mac. And 2D games??? Go try out any OTHER VR headset and see what games in VR are TRULY like.

Reactions: AeroEd

till

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
New York or Berlin
The only actually notable VR game I can think of is Half-Life: Alyx, which was positively received.

I think the truth is that without sci-fi full immersion (ie, the holodeck experience), the design space for VR games is extremely limited. Stuff like flight simulators work well, but mostly you'd rather play on a flat screen.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Ah my iPad Pro is still mostly a toy for me except when i use it as a second Mac display. I just don’t find iOS sufficient for serious productivity
Mine has been a very efficient work tool since the original iPad. It took me a little over a week to figure out how to put it to good use (I had 13 days to device whether to keep it or not). Currently, my iPad Pro M2 12.9 is my primary work tool when on the field. I also carry a MacBook Pro, but hardly ever use it (except to run Windows 11 in VMWare to create bootable Windows Media, or provide support with QuickAssist.

Besides that, I also enjoy the iPad as a consumption device. Now that I have the Vision Pro, I use it more to watch movies and series.
I also started to use it to study and do research, create some reports. If I could run Swift Playgrounds for Development, it would be great. Xcode even better. This device can handle more than it's currently running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.