Visit a malware web page with Safari (iPad)

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Fantoni, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Fantoni macrumors member

Today I've visited the following web page with Safari on my iPad 3 and I've read the text with the "reader" feature:

http://www.oocities.org/melograni/testirathenau.htm

According to Sucuri SiteCheck, this page could be infected with malware.

My iOS is updated and my iPad is not jailbreaked. Should I worry? Could my iPad get infected visiting a web page with Safari?

Thank you and excuse me if this is a stupid question.

F.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

No need to worry.

3. macalec macrumors 6502

No that is a defense built into the system to protect you from anything malicious.

4. Fantoni thread starter macrumors member

Being a Windows user (switching soon!), the fact that a device can be - by design - immune to malware is really amazing!

So, if I understand correctly, neither javascript nor any other code embedded in a web page could ever infect iOS! I could visit the most dangerous web sites of the internet without any consequence... Right?

F.

5. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

Ever seen a Windows Phone or Blackberry affected by malware? It is because of their closed nature. Android is more likely affected by malware because it is more open. But I haven't had any malware on my android devices yet.

Being a Windows user, I haven't got any types of virus, malware long time. Be award, there are malware for Mac. Just saying... This world is dangers.

Java scripts or other code maybe infect the particular app making the particular unusable (maybe?), but it won't able to infect the whole system. Since each app is sandboxed.

You still could visit some dangers site and get your personal information stolen by bad guys.

End of the story

6. Fantoni thread starter macrumors member

So a malicious code embedded in a web page could (in theory) infect Safari? Are you sure?

7. Silvereel macrumors 6502

No, not by a long shot. On your iPad, you don't have a thing in the world to worry about - if something happens to your iPad, it'll be the first case the world has ever seen...

It's a little more likely for that to happen on OS X, since it is more open than iOS, but for it to do any serious damage you would most likely have to enter your admin password. But if you're using an iPhone, you don't even need to worry about it. Just use it and be happy, and don't let anyone scare you. The only way anyone is going to steal your personal information on an iDevice is if you give it to them. Just be smart and enjoy the web :apple:

8. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

There are still inherent security flaws which can be exploited using JavaScript. In this sense, no device which allows JavaScript to be run is safe.

That said, most Windows and other devices are generally safe.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

While JavaScript or something else on the web site site can be exploited and prompt the browser/OS to run something, iOS will simply not execute it since it's locked down and doesn't behave like an OS for which that exploit would be designed (like Windows, OS X, or perhaps even Android).

10. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Most modern operating systems are cracking down on remote execution vulnerabilities. However, I'm not just talking about application malware.