Visiting an apple expert after opening up your Mac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ben2e, Jul 11, 2011.

1. ben2e macrumors member

I attempted adding an SDD to my iMac. It installed successfully but I got a hardware failure apparently with the ambient temperature sensor. It's only a month old and strangely, I didn't mess with that sensor other than unplugging it from the MB jack.

What can I expect if I visit a Mac Expert ? I can replace the old hardware but of course they may still know I messed with the insides. It should still be under warranty. Is it worth going or should I investigate buying a new sensor ?

2. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

Tbh most genius are nice enough. They'll just fix it proberly

3. leman macrumors 604

I'd remove the SSD prior to going to Apple. Also, I wouldn't tell them I opened it. I also hope that you did not damage any stickers or anything.

Otherwise you risk them telling you that you have lost your warranty.

4. rj86 macrumors member

It's usually quite obvious when a machine has been taken apart by someone after leaving the factory. Wouldn't worry too much about it unless you've forgotten to put screws back in or damaged something...

5. ben2e thread starter macrumors member

I figured it would be. Should I just leave the new SSD in there ? (which would of course save me a bit of time). I've had good luck with the geniunses being cool, just don't know HOW cool. If they see someone who's messed with the insides, it can't make them too excited to clean up the mess.

6. basher macrumors 6502

basher

My understanding is that the only user serviceable item is RAM. If it were mine, I'd be removing the items I installed.

Good luck with it.