Visiting Apple Store? Replace my 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by esadb, Jul 5, 2010.

1. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Going to be on a business trip and i realized there is gonna be a Apple store around the block from my hotel. My 3Gs 1 year warranty expires on July 8th and ive been meaning to get a replacement due to i find it acts slow and i tried restoring it and everything but just doesnt seem to fix it. The store is in Toronto on Yonge St. Eaton Center.

So what i was gonna do is book a appointment at the genuis bar one of the nights and go in and try and get a brand new replacement before my warranty is up.

Is it as easy as walking in and getting a replacement or what? My iphone is currently jailbroken so id restore it back to original before doing anything.

Also is restoring it now that its jailbroken same procedure as before? Im running 4.0 on it.

Thanks!

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, it's that easy and I replaced my wife's 3GS a couple weeks ago due to connectivity issues with texting and MMS, but I'm not sure what your issue is because 3G is known to be dog slow on 4.0.

3. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Lol, 3G's are simply slow, especially when jailbroken (I had one). I think you'll have a HARD time getting a replacement...but if you can, yes you just go to the store and they'll give you one on the spot. Restore it, NOT from a back-up (set it up as new), and take it in.

4. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Nah it was slow back on 3.1.1 or whatever it was, i even called them in last november and complained and they prob will see a ticket if they check.

I just didnt have time to deal with it or be without a phone for 3 days if i did that early replacement option.

Is there a fee for anything of this? Do i need anything? box? or just the iphone itself?

Thanks!

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Then I'd take it in if it was slow on 3.1.1. No fees and don't bring anything but the iPhone itself, but be sure to restore as new iPhone (not from backup) as that's one of the requirements for replacement.

6. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Was it jailbroken? Because my jailbroken 3G on 3.1.2 was slow as hell...

7. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Nah it was stock back on 3.1.1 or 3.1.3.

Only time it was jailbroken was when i got 4.0.

So the restoring/getting rid of jailbreak is the same process? Plug into itunes and just restore?

8. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Well i had to have the phone shipped to me.. now i got the new iphone here and the instructions.

It says to put my iphone in some sort of "bag" any idea what bag their referring to? I dont see a bag? I see some sort of longish thing it almost looks like a screen protector but its way too long and it appears to be sticky at the top..

Please help?