Visiting Guatemala or Mexico, anybody here been?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SpookTheHamster, Mar 29, 2010.

1. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I'm thinking about travelling to either of these two countries at some point between June-September (which just seems to be the rainy season, yay)

Has anybody here been to either of these countries? The safety is a big factor that concerns me, so how was it for you? Were you robbed/killed, or was it fine?

What sights or activities should I partake in?

2. delux246 macrumors member

I have been to Mexico several times, most recently, the summer of 06 for 3 weeks. good news: I wasn't killed. bad news: it is much more dangerous now. Where in Mexico were you thinking of traveling? The northern parts are the most dangerous right now because of drug trafficking.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Enjoy the 200th anniversary of the independence.

Otherwise the food will probably make you sick and avoid the border states with the US.

4. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I'm Mexican (State of Sonora) but I don't remember it; was too young when I left.

I would be a little cautious visiting certain parts of Mexico because of all the drug wars.

5. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I have friends who live in Cancun. They've invited me down several times, but I've yet to go. One of these days I'll just have to pick up and go.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I was killed, but I got over it. :D

Two vastly different countries, and in the case of Mexico, vastly different experiences among the states and regions. I've been to both extensively, but that doesn't mean anything if we don't know what parts you're considering. Some border cities with the US are moderately dicey lately, but for most turistas still tolerable as long as you keep to the main drags during daylight hours. Juarez, Nogales, Nuevo Laredo, and to some extent Mexicali are the "worst" right now, but still draw some pretty healthy tourism numbers. The deeper into the interior you go, the generally less troublesome it is.

Not to say the border is dangerous, or the interior is safe. As with all things, due diligence and awareness are always key, and have been for as long as I've lived on the border.

7. Gustavo Machado macrumors newbie

My teacher lived in Guatemala with a traditional family there for awhile, he said he loved it alot more than Mexico.

But Mexico can be hella fun if you know the right people. :cool:

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

i too have been to mexico a number of times and have yet to be killed there. I'll probably go again this Fall. Like most places, London for example, safety all depends on where you go and what you do

9. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Go to Mexico. Ask for Rodrigo. Tell 'em Paco sent ya. Ask 'em for the Presidente especial. Tell 'em you don't want the chickens but Tysons tiger is okay. Just pretend to speak french and you'll be fine. It'll cost you around $5.

Buena Suerte.

10. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

I went to Mexico (Guadalajara) over my winter break, I was there for about 2 weeks. I stayed with the family of someone I know in the states. It was nice, it just seemed like a regular city, no drug merchants or anything :). But I didn't really stray off on my own, I always stayed with people I knew.

Do you speak Spanish? Along the U.S. border I'm sure people speak English but in Guadalajara pretty much no one does, except maybe a few people at the airport.

11. Gold89 macrumors 6502

12. SpookTheHamster thread starter macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Yeah, the Trekstudy thing is what I'm looking at too.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I went to Cancun (actually to a resort outside of Cancun) and it was a decent time. It was one of those all inclusive type resorts, of course as careful as I was I got sick as a dog and had to shell out > 200 bucks in cash to have a doctor see me. I did get to see the ruins at chitzen itza and telume. Quite fascinating. I can't see myself going back there, it was not a place that has any allure to me.

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

^ this.

It reminds me of my grandmother in law who always asks me questions like "What's the weather like in America?" Well, dear, it's pretty frickin big and varied. Nothing tops the time when she asked me "Do they celebrate New Years in America?" :rolleyes: No, there's never been a new year in the USA, still on that first year and damn has it been a long one! She asked the same thing about Christmas and Mother's Day too. Aaaaaarghhh!

Edit: not trying to put you quite in the same category, SpookTheHamster, just reminded me of it because these places are big and varied.

15. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I lived in mexico for a couple of years and went back last month for my honeymoon (Puerto Morelos and Cozumel). I've yet to be hurt or killed. Don't drink the water, eat at very touristy restaurants, or try to buy drugs and you'll be fine.