Visiting Ireland- 3G Options ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dogcowdaddy, Sep 10, 2010.

1. dogcowdaddy macrumors newbie

Heading to Ireland next week. From what I can tell I should be able to walk into a Vodafone store and purchase a micro sim with 5 GB for the month for 20 Euro. I will be in Dublin, Dingle, and Galway. Is it really that easy? From the coverage maps it appears that Vodafone will be best for these areas. Any other suggestions from someone with actual experience ? Can anyone tell me what the APN settings are for Vodafone in Ireland?

Thanks

Jim

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If your in Dingle vodafone coverage can be patchy at best in Kerry. Seriously I live in Kerry and it's rare my iPhone ever picks up 3G unless it's in the towns. When you factor in the hills and mountains around Dingle peninsula (Brandon, Slieve Mish) then vodafones coverage falls to what can only be described as *****.

I'd would get a 3 microsim. Work out same price as vodafone but has better overall coverage nationwide.

You should be grand from Dublin across to Galway, down through Clare (across the ferry) or into Limerick before hitting North Kerry and then on into the Dingle Penisula.

Just visit a 3 store.

3. dogcowdaddy thread starter macrumors newbie

3 it is then. They have a store right around the corner from our hotel in Dublin. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Jim

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

Customer service in 3 stores seems to differ wildly. I went into the one on Grafton St and they told me it wasn't possible to get a microsim.

If this happens, pick up an o2 sim as they definitely keep them in stores. And let us know how you're getting on!

5. dogcowdaddy thread starter macrumors newbie

The 3 store close by is the one on Grafton Street so we will see what they say this time. We get in next Saturday so I will post with my results, hopefully over 3G.

Thanks

Jim

6. dogcowdaddy thread starter macrumors newbie

Went to the 3 store on Grafton Street yesterday and the service was great. Bought a sim for 5 euro, and got a 1GB prepay for the month for 15 euro. The online activation was fairly painless. Great weekend in Dublin. Just finished watching the football final over a few pints. Heading out beyond the Pale tomorrow so I will be putting the 3 network to the test then. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Jim