Visiting Long Beach CA

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bigjnyc, Jun 16, 2014.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Hey guys I am going to Long Beach, CA this Wednesday for a work conference, I will be staying until Sunday and will have some free time to explore. Anyone from the area have any good suggestions. sights, attractions, restaurants, etc...

I've been to L.A. before and plan on going for a bit but would like to explore Anaheim and Long beach (unless there's really nothing to see)

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

2. rhett7660, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014

rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

If you like Beer, here are few places to go:

Congregation Ale House
    Beachwood BBQ
    Yard House
    BBC or Belmont Brewing Company
    The Stache Bar
    Schooner or Later

Live music:
    Taco Beach
    Alex's Bar

Bars:
    Sgt. Pepers Dueling Piano's
    Pike Restaurant and Bar
    Gallaghers
    Legends
    Panama Joes
    The Federal Bar
    Wokano

Dive Bars:
    V Room
    Red Room
    Reno Room

Sunday brunch:
    Hotel Maya (awesome by the way!!)

Joe Jost's the place is kind of old and dirty, but man for some reason they have good beer and the polish sandwich's rock!

Italian: La Parolaccia Osteria Italiana. I love the cheese pizza here!!!

Sites:
    Shoreline Village
    Ocean Blvd
    2nd Street
    Aquarium of the Pacific
    Queen Mary
    The Pike

The beach's are just "ok" in LB. If you want better beach's I would head down to Orange County (south). If you do go to the OC, there are a lot of places to go to there also!!!

That is all I can think of, off the top of my head. I live in LB so if there is anything in particular you are looking to do, let me know. And yes I have been ALL of these places and most on a regular basis!

3. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

wow awesome thanks!! I think I am covered as far as bars and eating...I'll look up the site suggestions as well. great list!

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yeah I know there are a lot of bars on the list. LOL. If there is anything in particular food wise, you are looking for let me know.

Dominico's on 2nd street has reallly good pizza also!

5. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Nothing in particular, your list is great, gives me a lot of options to pick from.

6. sim667 macrumors 65816

Whats the difference between a bar and a dive bar?

7. RenoG macrumors 65816

(Generally speaking) A dive bar is that dark grimy standalone neighborhood spot typically in the shaddy part of town where motorcycle gangs and wine-o's like to hang.

A 1961 dictionary defined a "dive" as "a disreputable resort for drinking or entertainment".[4]

In an article in its August 2010 issue, Playboy magazine described a dive bar as:

A church for down-and-outers and those who romanticize them, a rare place where high and low rub elbows—bums and poets, thieves and slumming celebrities. It’s a place that wears its history proudly.[5]

Its where Shrek found Puss-N-Boots.

Where Pee Wee Herman did his famous dance.

A regular bar can be found in any given resturant or it can be a standalone swanky lounge patroned by professionals typically in the financial district of a city.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

In short, Watch the Patrick Swayze movie Road House. The entire movie is the epitome of a dive bar.

BL.

9. rosiel122 macrumors newbie

The Long Beach Aquarium is a fun visit if you like those kinds of things.

Seal Beach just South of Long Beach is nicer the few times I went there.

If traffic is right Disneyland is just 30 minutes away. I've never really been anywhere in Anaheim other than Disneyland, but I know there are tons of chain type restaurants in the area.

And if want to go north a bit, Manhattan Beach is a posh area with bars and restaurants. Nicer than Redondo.

10. NukeIT macrumors regular

I live in town too, but may just have to print this list out for future reference #

11. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Thanks I went to Anaheim and did a tour of angels stadium. I may check out seal beach in a little while. I'll be in San Diego all day tomorrow.

12. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

San Diego has some awesome spots. For one Gas Lamp District. Awesome food places and bars!

You also have the navel aircraft carrier tour you can do. Coronado beach, San Diego Padres stadium is something to see also... Me and the wife go to SD every year for comic con and there is really a lot to do there!!

13. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Thanks again for all the great suggestions guys. I am back in NY but I had a great time.

In Long beach I went to

Beechwood BBQ - their own brewed beers were great ( I tried a little too many lol) and their pulled pork was delicious

Schooner or Later - Good food and a beautiful view

Panama Joes - great after work crowd, nice and lively and great people. perfect atmosphere

Sgt. Pepers Dueling Piano's - went on Friday night, it was a little dead but the irish bar next door (forget the name) was awesome, there was a lot of people nice young crowd... I was staying in the Hyatt Regency right across the street so I was able to drink freely :D

Hotel Maya - I had the sunday brunch at Fuego in the Hotel Maya before heading to LA yesterday to finish up my trip and it was amazing just like you said

I hung out at the shoreline village, Pike and 2nd street a little bit. Visited the Queen Mary. The only thing I didnt have time for was the aquarium even though it was literally next to my hotel lol. Too much drinking I guess.

I did get a chance to go to San Diego for a few hours on Saturday but I had been there several times before and its one of my favorite places in the world so I already knew my way around there.

Again thanks for all the great suggestions, Its always great to get the inside scoop from a local. Had a great time!!

14. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

The irish pub was The Auld Dubliner. Awesome place. Did they have a live band playing?

I am glad you had a good time! If you visit again let me know and I can give you even more places!!!!!!!

15. sim667 macrumors 65816

Not much of a difference then, ones full of characters and ones full of arseholes.

I guess which way round you see that is individual.