Visiting New York City for the first time... Qs

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by heehee, Mar 25, 2009.

1. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

My gf and I are planning a trip to NY city easter weekend. I have some questions, where should we stay? Should I even attempt to drive to NYC if we stay in Jersey or get a hotel right at Times Square (or anywhere in NYC)? Where/what should do and see?

I get a discount for Starwood hotels and it's so hard to pick one since there are 200 Starwood hotels in within 3 miles of NYC.:confused:

1 .Westin Times Square 270 West 43rd Street.

2. W New York 541 Lexington Avenue. This one about $70 more, but still very cheap for NYC price. We love the W we stayed in Montreal.

or stay in Jersey and drive/take the train to NYC
    3. W Hoboken 225 River Street. It's the same price as the Westin Times Square.

I would like to stay at a W Hotel since it's something special for us and I'm planning something really special. She knows I post here, but I don't think she knows my name, just incase so I won't tell you guys what I'm doing yet. :p

Thanks for your help. :)

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Stay on Manhattan, don't drive. It's a nightmare.

Make sure you visit Two Boots pizza. It's a must. I go every time I'm in New York.
    http://www.twoboots.com/

And of course, go to the Apple Store on 5th Ave.

3. eldy macrumors 6502

Jersey is a waste of time. Ironbound might be okay for you but generally it's a waste of time.

Go see a show on Broadway. Lion King is pretty easy to digest and not rainbow. Go shopping in SoHo. Maybe check out the pier. Statue/Ellis Island is boring unless that sort of thing is your bag.

Check out Chambers hotel instead of the W. Prices should be on par but you will get a lot more personalized service. Eat at Town, The Spotted Pig and Peter Lugers. Take the train or cab it for Peter Lugers.

Midtown is a tourist trap. Get in, take your pictures and get out.

4. heehee thread starter macrumors 68020

heehee

Yeah, looks like I'll be staying in NYC. I'll definitely go to the Apple Store on 5th, but I'm sure my gf won't like it. She "hates" Apple stuff, but she asks for my iphone everytime she takes a number 2. :D

Chambers hotel looks really nice, but I get a huge discount for Starwood hotels. $105 for valet parking? :eek: Is it all the same for NYC hotels? I'll be driving there if we can't get a flight to our schedule.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll keep it in mind.

5. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

I'm from Jersey...don't stay in Hoboken. Seeing a show on broadway is a good idea, I'd recommend Wicked, Avenue Q, and the Lion King like someone else did. The Top of the Rock is pretty cool at Rockefeller center especially at sunset. You get a good 360 view of the city....of course there is always the empire state building but I like this better.