Visiting NYC in 3 weeks - need final advice about new Macintosh

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Thornblom, May 29, 2018.

  1. Thornblom, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018

    Thornblom macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    #1
    It has happened, my 2010 15" Macbook Pro is dead. I'm left without a computer.
    However, I'm about to visit NYC in three weeks and my plan was to buy a new 15 inch. The thing is, I'm about to move, and my resources have become more limited then I thought they would. But, since my current MBP is dead, I still need a new one, ASAP. My budget has shrinked to $1600, so I'm left with a couple of options:

    Refurbished 13" TB - 3.1 ghz i5, 256GB storage, 8GB RAM. - $1550
    New 13" nTB - 2.3 ghz i5, 128GB storage, 16GB RAM - $1490
    Refurbished 15" 2015 model - 2.2 ghz i7, 256GB storage, 16GB RAM - $1650
    Refurbished 13" nTB base - 2.3 ghz i5, 128GB storage, 8GB RAM - $1090

    I use my computer for simple daily tasks and hobby programming (some small mobile apps and some retro game development with C++). Screen size is secondary, while it would be nice with 15 inch, I don't need it. Also, 2015 MBP is old tech.

    I'm really tempted to go with the base 13" nTB for $1090 and call it a day, my tasks isn't that instensive at all. My 2010 15 inch i7 with 8GB RAM was more then enouth. I guess more storage can be solved with a external type-c device if needed. I really need as much money as possible to other things these days.

    What do you guys think?
     
  2. duervo macrumors 68020

    duervo

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    #2
    Wait 6 days. If nothing better shows up, then option 3 is what I’d do.
     
  3. CodeJoy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2018
    #3
    In a few weeks' time you'll probably get 2 more cores if you get a new MBP. I would suggest the new 13" nTB from your list. You may not need the cores and RAM now, but if you keep this machine for 8 years also, then you will need it eventually. Disk storage is less of a concern for hobby programming, just like you mentioned. I would much sooner spend that money on cores and RAM than on disk space.
     
  4. Thornblom thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    #4
    I guess you are talking about WWDC, but that is a software conference? Isn't hardware usually launched in late summer/early fall? At least in the Jobs days.
     
  5. CodeJoy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2018
    #5
    It is, but they have sometimes presented new hardware there too. They did so last year with the MacBook Pros, and there's a strong expectation that they will do the same this year. What's maybe even more relevant to your particular use case is that the 2018 models may come with an improved keyboard. If they do indeed introduce new models there, then there's a particularly strong incentive this year to go with new instead of refurbished. Either way, you'll know in 6 days.

    Edit: Plus, I'm sure you know that the nTB model has less cooling than the TB model, though that may not matter all that much.
     
  6. Martius macrumors 6502

    Martius

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    Location:
    Prague, CZ
    #6
    I like the 15" inch MBP (I have 2015), because I don't need another screen. My collegues (developers / graphic designers) mostly have 13" inch MBP and use it with another screen, but I have never get used to switch between two screens. I would get 21" iMac if I needed bigger screen than 15" (for my work).

    But the current 15" is expensive right now, so yes, your only chance is to get the 2015 and even though I love it, I have mine for almost 3 years, so paying like 1600$ for 3 years old refurbished tech is ridiculous.

    Being you I would wait a week and after that I would get the nTB 13" 16GB RAM, but at least with 256GB. I have the base configuration of 2015 15" and even the 256GB is not enough if you are developer. Of course you can store your data in cloud or external drives, but having more than 256GB built-in is a must for me. I though it won't be a problem, but it is and it is the main reason I'm looking for a replacement this year (hope it will be MBP, but not with touchbar).
     
  7. Thornblom thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    #7
    I see. Best case for me would be a entry nTB 13" with quad core I guess. It is three more weeks until it's buy time, so we'll see. About cooling, if CPU throttling is a problem with the nTB, that could be worth considering.

    My guess is that a nTB 13" with 16GB RAM and 256GB storage is out of my budget, it seems like the choice is either 16GB RAM or 256GB storage. In that case storage is easier to add later on. Lets hope for 256GB storage in base model if we get a new release next week.
     
  8. Fishrrman macrumors P6

    Fishrrman

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #8
    OP wrote:
    "since my current MBP is dead, I still need a new one, ASAP"
    "Refurbished 15" 2015 model - 2.2 ghz i7, 256GB storage, 16GB RAM - $1650"
    "2015 MBP is old tech."


    Obviously, you need something right away.
    But I -WOULD NOT- buy a 2017 design MBPro for any reason.
    The 2015 may be [slightly] "older tech", but it's the better choice.

    Why?
    Because it's more robust and the keyboard won't fail on you in a year or two (or sooner).
    Also, it has a full complement of ports so that everything you currently have will just "plug right in" as they did with the 2010 MBP.

    If you could "hold out", I'd say, "wait for the 2018 models".
    But of course -- you can't hold out.
    So... again... the 2015, even though older, remains "the better buy", if you have to buy "now"...
     
  9. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 14, 2014
    Location:
    nyc upper east
    #9
    i got my 2016 15inch for 1400. you should try fleabay.
     
  10. Thornblom thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    #10
    Keyboard is worse, got it. The missing ports doesn't really annoy me, and the newer ones have other improvements like faster RAM, faster SSD and portability.
    However, I can wait until I'm in NYC (three weeks), so I will do that.
     

Share This Page