Visiting Orlando - anything I need to see, buy, ...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nipponfan, Feb 28, 2010.

1. nipponfan macrumors regular

I'll be visiting Florida, in particular Orlando and Daytona Beach this week. I've been here 10 years ago where I came with my family to see almost all Theme parks.

Anyway, this time I'm mostly here for the beach and an orlando magic game (looking forward to this especially). Other than that I don't really have anything planned.

I want to go shopping too, but even with the weak dollar I think most electronics still cost the same, especially since I can't take advantage of online deals - or am I wrong?

So - any suggestion on how I could spend my time here would be nice. ;)

2. CP123 macrumors regular

3. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Please stay away; the last thing we need is another tourist on the roads.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Lord knows that Orlandians wouldn't want to be confused by someone using a turn signal, stopping at red lights, making turns from the correct lane, etc. :rolleyes:

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Nah, there's nothing to see in Orlando. I think they replaced their stop sign with a red light a few years ago, and they filled the pothole, but it came back. There was talk of a truck stop before the Interstate pulled all the traffic away. Now they're pretty much just waiting for the old folks to die before letting the swamp take it back.

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

That might actually be an improvement for Orlando. ;)

7. iOrlando macrumors 68000

There are three Floridas. First is central Florida - Tourist Central. You have Disney and all related to that, Universal, Busch Gardens, Sea World, NASA, etc, etc. Then you have north Florida...which seems like any average state. You cant even tell you are in Florida if someone doesnt tell you.

Then you got South Florida (east coast). Not a great place for families, but good for the beaches and nightlife.

If I were you. I would do Orlando and then take 3 days or so and visit South Florida. Skip Daytona Beach. Daytona Beach is nothing when compared to Miami Beach. You can rent a car, fly, train etc etc. down to Miami. As long as you spend more than 2 days, it would be worth the trip down.

yes, its expensive in Miami, but its a vacation, you are suppose to spend alot.

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Don't bother coming to Daytona. There is nothing here. Literally, nothing is here( I would get the hell out myself if Riddle wasn't here).

For Orlando, a stroll down International Drive. Go see the upside down building and do the Titanic experience.

Oh and make sure to actually follow the rules of the road. If you are going to go the speed limit, stay in the right lanes. People go 80 MPH+ in the left lane on I-4. So please don't be a hinderance by going 70 in the left lane.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

He's from Austria. I'd say there's a decent chance he's gone over to Germany and driven on the Autobahn a few times. If so, he probably knows the rules of the road better than 99% of Americans, especially when it comes to lanes ;)

10. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Given that I live about 10 minutes from Disney, I can honestly state that NOÖNE here knows (or follows) the rules of the road.

11. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Take a nice walk around Lake Eola in downtown Orlando. As far as eating, check out Seasons 52 and Kobe Japanese Steakhouse in Altamonte Springs, right near Orlando and for some FANTASTIC fondue, check out the fun, unique and delicious Colorado Fondue in Casselberry. All these places are within 10-30mins of each other.

12. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

It really depends on what you are into.

If you like bird photography, you can always come over to Merritt Island (NASA is on the north tip of Merritt Island).

There is Gaterland; if you like alligators

...oh, and if you rent a car, brings LOTS of quarters and dollar bills because Orange county loves them tolls.