Visiting the US, pre-paid micro-sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcmanus7, Aug 25, 2010.

1. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

Will be spending roughly a week in New York and a week in Florida.

I have a factory unlocked iPhone 4 so I was wondering which carrier provides a good pre-paid option?????? Micro-sim isn't a big issue since I have cut down a few sim cards already for friends. Mainly looking for pre-paid data.

Thanks,

2. psywzrd macrumors 68030

You only have two choices - AT&T and T-Mobile. Best bet is to check the coverage maps in the areas you're going to be visiting but I would think that AT&T would be your best bet regardless.

3. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

AT&T offers two prepaid data packages:

1MB for $4.99
    100MB for $19.99

Not sure what T-Mobile offers.

4. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm thought I would have more options... I will look into the coverage thanks guys!

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Well AT&T used to have unlimited data for prepaid but discontinued that around 1.5 years ago. It was rumored that they stopped the plan because too many iPhone users were using it along with prepaid minutes because they could save about $10 over the cheapest iPhone plan.

The data plans that they do offer are throttled so that you will not get the same 3G speeds on prepaid as you get on a postpaid iPhone account.

I used to have the unlimited prepaid data and would be lucky if I got 300Kbps on my 3G iPhone. On my postpaid account on that same phone, I would get 1.5Mbps. Again they didn't want people using the prepaid data on iPhones and still don't.

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

:D Welcome to America

As far as coverage, they're both pretty much the same. One is neither better/worse than the other. I hear that AT&T's coverage in NY is supposed to be better however I've heard mixed reactions to that.