Resolved Visiting the US until June 13th... planned to buy a MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elgerva, Apr 26, 2012.

  1. elgerva, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

    elgerva macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2012
    #1
    Hello everybody!

    I'm about to visit the US (I live in South America) and one of the things I was expecting to do is update my MBP to the 2012 model... now it seems like everybody is expecting a launch on the WWDC... but sucks for me, as I'm leaving on June 13th. It's not an option buying one at home... they add like 50% to the US price.

    So, I guess I just have to leave with it... considering I still want to buy the late 2011 model, what would you suggest me? I was planning to upgrade the memory to 8GB... can I found some discounted prices somewhere? considering that a great update is expected.

    Does someone know if I can get some kind of refund from buying a MBP 2 weeks before the update announcement? Any suggestion? I hate my luck... but after all, it's just a laptop... sometimes I can't understand how Apple sells me everything they want.

    Thanks ;)
     
  2. nars1l macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2012
    #2
    According to speculation,

    And this is just speculation, of course,

    There's a highly decent chance that the MBP could see its 2012 update before mid-June.

    So cross your fingers and wait as long as you can!
     
  3. elgerva thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2012
    #3
    Yeah... I will hold as much as possible... But what I was trying to find out is if I should pay 100% of the retail price even if an updated version is released 1 week after my purchase... Do they usually offer some refunds? Maybe I can buy a discounted unit b/c all the stores want to clear their inventories? Should I go with apple or some other retailer?

    Thanks! I have my fingers crossed... Hoping for the best ;)
     
  4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

    yusukeaoki

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2011
    Location:
    Tokyo, Japan
    #4
    Yeah it doesnt mean MBP will always be shown in WWDC.
    My Early 2011 MBP just came out without a warning.
    It might come out in Late May/Early June!
    Dont let your hopes down!
     
  5. nars1l macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2012
    #5
    Well, I have no direct experience with this personally, but from what I've seen in a couple places around these forums...

    If you purchase a Macbook and an update comes out within 2 weeks, they will switch it out for you. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

    I have not heard anything about refunds - I don't think Apple does this.

    If an update comes out, the older Macbooks will probably be sold at a lower price.

    If you will be in the US for an extended period of time and an update does not come, then I suggest ordering a refurbished one off Apple's online store.

    The current next 'big day' that we might hear of an update will be June 11, which is the first day of the 2012 Worldwide Developer's Conference, which is pretty close to your departure date ><
     
  6. kontakt5 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012
    #6
    The maximum discount I have seen on a MBP is $400 off a $2200 MBP.
     
  7. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

    GuitarG20

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2011
    #7
    Not necessarily true. Apple could announce another event before WWDC, or it could be a silent update like the kind that happened in early/late 2011, with just a press release.
     
  8. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

    Xcallibur

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2011
    Location:
    Manchester
    #8
    I don't think they switch the laptop to a newer one. However, there is usually an option to return the product within 14 days if you are not happy with the purchase, so he could possibly buy the current generation and take it back for a refund within that 2 week period; by that time the new generation macbook will probably have been released.
     
  9. elgerva thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2012
    #9
    Wow guys... Thank you very much for your opinions... I have a late 2010 MBP and was thinking about changing it before knowing about the ivy bridge update... So I guess I will use my girlfriend's laptop while in the US... And 14 days before my flight leaves, buy the MBP I want. If they release the new one, return it and buy the new one. If I'm out of luck, just bring my new gear back to home.

    Thanks again for your useful posts ;)
     
  10. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

    Icy1007

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2011
    Location:
    Cleveland, OH
    #10
    Wait until either: the new 2012 MacBook Pro is released or the day before you have to leave. Whichever one comes sooner.
     

Share This Page