Visiting the USA - which prepaid provider?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mr Mot, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Mr Mot macrumors member

Hi guys, I thought I had this one covered myself but I thought I'd ask for advice anyway. I guess you lot know the plans better than I do..

I'm visiting the states for 2-3 weeks in a couple of months and want a SIM so that I can still use data on my iPhone 4 (checking mails, a bit of browsing and accessing my network's website to send webtexts back home for free)

I was going to order an AT&T go phone SIM from ebay and use that but from what I've managed to find out, there's no data plan. Meaning I have to pay $4.99 per MB?
    AT&T is advantagious for me as my uncle, who I'm staying with is on AT&T meaning he wouldn't pay a fortune to call me and visa versa..

I dont mind paying $60 or so aslong as I don't get ripped off for data by the MB..

If it makes any difference, I'll mostly be in Michigan and Chicago :)

Thanks for any advice.

2. joker3001 macrumors newbie

joker3001

I was in the US during April and I ordered a GoPhone sim for AT&T. I think AT+T have crippled the gophone sims in order to stop people putting them in iphones.

1. It would not register on AT&T website if I used the IMIE number of my iphone (had to use nokia imie).
    2. I could not access any data services at all.

Next I am using T-Mobile or something ...

3. Mr Mot thread starter macrumors member

No data at all, even if you paid through the nose for it? :confused:

I don't know what the coverage is like on T-Mobile - I might see if I can get my uncle to try one..

4. Mr Mot thread starter macrumors member

Looking at the T-Mobile prepaid plans here, it doesn't mention data other than for the sidekick...hmm

Think I need a native's opinion on what I should go for.

5. joker3001 macrumors newbie

joker3001

6. Mr Mot thread starter macrumors member

ahh, so the next question is: how do I get an AT&T pick your plan SIM?
    I can't find any on ebay..

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

You probably won't be able to find any since AT&T no longer offers Pick a Plan.

8. Mr Mot thread starter macrumors member

oh :( so what would you suggest is my best option?

Is it quite simply no data access on gophone?