Visiting US

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macmedal, Oct 11, 2008.

1. macmedal macrumors regular

I am currently visiting the US in the Chicago area. I have turned off Data Roaming and Push services and have only been using wifi when I can for free. So far so good as I have not used any mobile data which I want to avoid.

However I have noticed even though my 3G is turned on I do not get a 3G. More out of interest as it really doesn't affect me but would I get 3G if I turned on the data roaming. I am with O2 in the UK and it seems AT&T is my roaming provider in the Chicago area.

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Not sure but it is probably because data roaming is turned off. AT&T is the only provide in the US that has 3G on the frequencies that the iPhone supports.

3. sjorge macrumors member

I've noticed too that when I turn of data roaming I don't get 3G nor EDGE.

4. stomer macrumors 6502a

I was recently in California and I noticed that 3G and EDGE are off as long as you have Data Roaming Off. Turn Data Roaming on and then 3G and Edge will become available.

5. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I live in California, but I was on vacation in Chicago in August, and the coverage there is spotty in some areas. In most areas, I had 4-5 bars of 3G (before the 2.1 update), but in some spots I had almost a dead-zone.

I agree with the others ... I would experiment with turning the "data roaming" on and off, and see what happens.

6. macmedal thread starter macrumors regular

I found myself on T Mobile for most of yesterday but I am now back on AT&T roaming. I switched on Data Roaming and immediately 3G was activated so turning data roaming off disables 3G.

7. macmedal thread starter macrumors regular

I have found that whilst on T Mobile roaming the iphone is continuously crashing. I have had no problem when it uses AT&T but as soon as it switches to T Mobile and I try and use any services i.e text, ipod or applications the phone crashes. Very frustrating especially as I seem to be in a in a T Mobile area for a few days (Rockford IL).

8. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Data roaming will not "disable 3G".
    You will still connect to 3G enabled towers for increased call-quality, it's just the iPhone will not accept a data down/uplink for transfer.
    Although, if you're not using Data, I would just recommend turning off 3G for better battery life.