Visiting USA need advice on using iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Nezza, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Nezza macrumors member

Nezza

Hi,
    I'm going to be visiting the USA in a couple of weeks, and I'll be traveling from New York to San Francisco. The total trip is going to last just under a month.

I'd like to get a pre-paid sim card for my iPhone - but one that will allow me to use data. I don't care about voice, maybe the odd text. But I really want data to allow me to update my travelogue on the move. Using my current sim and roaming isn't an option when 1mb of data costs £6 ($10ish). My iPhone is unlocked (by Apple not hacking), so I should be able to use whatever network is available.

What I'm trying to find out is:

Do any networks offer pre-paid (pay as you go) Sims that allow data?
    Roughly how much does it cost? Flat fee per day, $/mb etc?
    If pre-paid is not available, is there anyone that offers wi-fi access at a reasonable price that will have lots of hotspots and not just in the large cities?

I've been looking on the net and just see lots of conflicting information, so thought I'd go right to the source - the local users :)

Also when I insert the sim I understand that I'll need to reactivate my iPhone through iTunes. My iPhone is synced with my iMac. Will I be able to do this with my laptop, and will that leave all my apps/music intact or does it delete everything as would happen with my old iPod?

Cheers for any advice you can offer. I'm really looking forward to the trip, and this is the last little detail that I need to get sorted before I leave.

2. Nezza thread starter macrumors member

Nezza