Visits from childhood friends

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Coolnat2004, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Has an old childhood friend ever visited you? I have a friend that moved away several years ago, and despite growing to have our own separate lives, he is coming tomorrow to visit for a day (random, sort of creepy).

Anyone else have an experience similar to this?

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

When I was in college my best friend from high school came out and paid me a visit. I had taken a few years off between high school and college, so it had been about 6 years or so since I had last seen him. It was a bit strange. We still got along and everything, but the old spark of best-friendship wasn't there anymore. Life had taken us in different directions. Kinda sad, but that's the way things go.

3. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

about a year ago, i found my childhood best friend, of all places, on myspace. we messaged back and forth a bit, and she asked me if i wanted to come to her daughter's 1st birthday party. i said i'd go, but i was really nervous since i hadn't even spoken to this girl since the fifth grade (i'm 25 now). it was a little odd, since life had sent us in two totally different directions...we really couldn't find anything to talk about. it was a little disappointing, really. :(

i wouldn't think of it as creepy...there are plenty of old buddies i'd love to see again for a day. maybe that makes me creepy. :)

EDIT: since your visit is probably already taking place (way to pay attention, me :) ) you'll have to let us know how it went. hope you're having fun!

4. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Every once in a while, I'm tempted to look up old friends. The more recent, the more likely we still have a lot in common. Just the other day I was at a friends wedding and I ran into another friend I hadn't seen in a little over 4 years - we had a great conversation.

Is there a general agreement that it is creepy to look up an old friend from 15-20 years back?

5. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

if that person truly was a friend, then i don't see it as creepy. now, if it's an ex or some such thing....that's a little odd. ;)

i'm always getting friend requests via myspace or facebook from old elem/middle/high school friends, and i'm always kind of flattered. it's nice to touch base with people i haven't seen in forever. this would be my equivalent of "looking up", and i think it's just fine.

now, randomly hunting down phone numbers and calling old friends...that may be a bit awkward. :p

6. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

But what if I don't use those systems? Can I use the phone? Or do I just need to abandon all hope and enter the den?

7. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

adandon all hope. :)

seriously, if i got a phone call from an old friend from that long ago, i'd be a little freaked out. for whatever reason, a facebook message or some such thing just seems a little less intimidating, probably because it's less personal. like i said, i get little friend requests and messages all the time and i think it's great. it's actually put me back in touch with a few people from the days of old.

this is just my humble little opinion, though. i'm waiting for someone else to chime in. :D