Visor: hide Terminal Dock icon

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ChrisBuchholz, Jul 26, 2010.

1. ChrisBuchholz macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm using Visor <http://visor.binaryage.com/> for the neatness of it, but I'd like to hide the Terminal dock icon when Visor runs, since it makes no sense that it is cluttering up the Dock, because of what Visor is meant to be.
    I have tried with setting LSUIElement = 1 in the terminals info.plist, but as long as the terminal has no dock icon, Visor has no effect - broken, one could say. It seems to be working for some people though.

Any other ideas of getting rid of the terminals dock icon? --ideas not including installing some third-party background app to keep it away.

Have a pleasent night,
    ChrisBuchholz

2. Gregg2, Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011

Gregg2 macrumors 603

You want to see it at other times, but not when Visor is running? If so, that would be a trick!

3. ChrisBuchholz thread starter macrumors newbie

Naah, more like I not wanna see it 'because' I know Visor is running.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, that's splitting hairs. ;)

So just take Terminal out of the Dock.

Put your Applications Folder in the Dock. From that "Stack" you're three clicks away from Terminal: one on the Stack, one to open the Utilities Folder and another (ok, double click) to open Terminal. Or, make the Utilities Folder into a Stack.

5. ChrisBuchholz thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry for asking, but - do you even know what Visor is?

Visor is an terminal plugin that makes the terminal live "in a hot-key", always ready to appear and disappear again on top of OS X.
    What my problem is, that for visor to work, the terminal must be running, because visor is just a terminal plugin. And when the terminal is running, it is shown in the dock. But because I'm using the visor plugin to make the terminal live "on top" of OS X, it makes no sense for the terminal to have an "running-icon" placed in the dock.

6. j2edwards macrumors newbie

Chris,
    Any fix for this? I have the same question/issue. would like to get rid of that icon since it's redundant with Visor