Vista 32/64 bit - External HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slikz21, Jun 22, 2007.

1. slikz21 macrumors newbie

I'm just about to order my MB Pro and plan on putting Vista on it as well (yes I know, plz don't hurt me :eek: ). Even though I only have 2MB of RAM right now, would it be better to go with Vista 64-bit for future proof, and is there any advantage to using 64-bit besides total RAM available. I don't want to buy XP, install it, then sometime down the road buy Vista and install again.

I plan on getting an external HD for backup. Can I backup from both OSX Tiger as well as Vista?

2. sotl macrumors member

don't do it. Apple doesn't offer 64 bit drivers yet and probably won't until Leopard comes out. I put the 64 bit Vista on my macbook pro and had to go hunt for drivers(not so easy) and certain apple specific hardware I could not find drivers for which meant no keyboard backlight, no dimming of the screen, no isight, no "fn" controls, etc.

Stick with 32-bit. You'll be happier... I know I am. Besides, unless you plan on working with HD images you most likely won't need it.

As for backing up to a hard drive, you can. It just needs to be FAT32 format which it will most likely be out of the box. In my case I wanted to store files larger than FAT32 allows so I formatted my external drive as HFS(Mac format) and purchased MacDrive 7 so I could access both my Mac partition and external drive from within Vista.

3. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Listen to the man, he is 110% correct. I tried 64 bit vista - can you say ROYAL PITA? 32 bit installs and runs excellent! Apple did a very good job with the drivers - when they have 64 bit drivers then I will slap vista 64 bit on there, for now definitely stick with 32 bit.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yeap trust these 2 guys! if you want to install v***a onto the external drive DONT!! cauz it wont work, v***a is like that.. i donno why they did that, pisses me off!!! neways, itl be fine

5. CapitalQ macrumors member

Huh? He was asking about whether he should install 64-bit Windows Vista, not about installing operating systems on an external hard drive, which I'm pretty sure Boot Camp doesn't allow.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i know, i was just making sure that he wasnt thinking of it just incase.... i thout xp you could install on external harddrives...but not on vista??