Vista 64-Bit for Macbook Core 2 Duo?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sPAULj, Aug 14, 2007.

1. sPAULj macrumors member

Hi everyone, I have a quick question that I've been unable to find the answer to:

I have the opportunity to buy either Windows Vista 64 bit or 32 bit at a very low price from my school and I was wondering which do you think I should get for my Macbook. I have the latest revision Black with 2 GB of ram, but it is my understanding that 64-bit is unnecessary if I don't have more than 2GB (which Macbooks can't do)?

Any help is appreciated greatly. :)

sPAULj

2. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

well, 64 bit is nice for game or apps that utilize the 64 bit architecture.... but as far as i know, boot camp can only support 32 bit if i'm correct.

anybody know for sure????

well, it all depends on which you are willing to pay for i guess.

3. Denali9 macrumors member

32 bit vs 64

If you buy a legit copy of home premium, go on microsoft site and you can order a copy of the 64 bit for 10$ or so. Vista Ultimate comes with both version. Though, until Apple update the drivers, you have to use the 32 bit version.

4. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

I wouldn't get the 64 bit version of Vista. Not a lot of apps are 64 bit native. To get "true" 64 bit you need the following:

A "true" 64 bit OS
    A 64 bit processor
    At least 4GB of RAM
    "True" 64 bit apps

Mind you, some if not most drivers won't work with 64 bit Vista. If MS was smart (cough) they would have done what Apple did - A 64 bit OS that can run 32 bit in the same OS - none of this 64 OR 32 bit crap!

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I might be wrong, but I think macbook's hardware (BIOS?) does not support vista 64bit.

6. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

with Leopard coming out, why wouldn't the macbook, being recently "updated", support 64 bit???

it does support 64 bit....

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I heard its something about macbook's BIOS, and you did notice that I said Vista 64bit, not ANY 64bit OS, did you?

8. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Get the 32bit, absolutely no reason for the 64 bitness.

9. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

oops, sorry about that.

basically, windows has been 32 bit for so long and so few developers/ manufacters take advantage of 64 bit, it's worth saving your money and all the hassel of dealing with Vista 64 bit.

also, are you considering XP at all????
    lots of people are using XP Pro instead of Vista on their macs