Vista 64 Bit Sp1 Mac Pro Issues - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by moneushot, Sep 26, 2008.

1. moneushot macrumors newbie

I am running Mac os X leopard and for work reasons I need to install vista 64 bit SP1, which I bought now.

My mac Pro is a 2*Quad core 3.0 Ghz Intel xeon bought in july 2007. From what I read in other topics and forums only newer Mac pros support Vista 64 bit SP1. I wonder if there is a workaround or if I am doomed to not be able to use vista 64 sp1?

whenever I try to install vista it just goes into a screen with numbers 1 and 2 and a select cd-rom boot type. Keyboard input however is inactive.

Basically it freezes and i need to restart it...

I have seen this error in other forum posts but no easy solutions. am I stuck with this new copy of vista and unable to get it to work? Do I need to update anything?

Any help appreciated...

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

2006 and 2007 Mac Pros run Vista x64 SP1 just fine. There's nothing special about the 2008 Mac Pros.

I've seen the error you describe — it has something to do with SP1 specifically, being burned from an MSDN ISO file (is that what you have?), but I don't know if it's limited to that or can be an issue with other SP1 discs. There's a way to rip and re-burn the disc so that it will boot. If you Google around you should be able to find the answer, but IIRC it required Windows-only ISO creation software.

3. NickolasSin macrumors member

NickolasSin

4. moneushot thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you guys

Ill give a try to the options described and hopefully this will work...

5. dimme macrumors 65816

I installed SP1 on a 2008 MacPro with no install problems. It was a OEM disk.