Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I have Windows Vista 64 Bit Enterprise.

I installed iTunes 7.3 from Apple site.

Plugged in iPhone

Nothing happens.

Open iTunes and it says "Software required for iPhone is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install iTunes again."

I reinstalled multiple times.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
That's unbelievable.

Especially with everyone trying to push 64 bit computing forward, Apple don't support it with their iPhone?

Is it possible to install iTunes as a 32 bit application under Vista 64 bit? Or is it installed as that already?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
64 bit Windows has always been buggier and less compatible than the 32 bit version, which is why its great that OSX doesn't have multiple versions.

gfabbott

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
VISTA 64 not supported by iTunes/iPhone

I picked up two iPhones last night but iTunes not support iPhone under VISTA 64. I suppose this means that there is no VISTA 64 driver provided for the iPhone. Does anyone of know of a work around? Thanks... gerry

gfabbott

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Virtual machine

How would one do that?

Will VISTA let you install the 32 and 64 bit versions from the same software license on a single PC?

coreynuro

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
I'm running xp x64 as well and cant do anything with my phone right now. apple needs to get a fix out for this ASAP or they are going to have a pretty good number of pissed off customers

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
iPhone no 64bit support!

Apple you have seriously took a HUGE STEP Backwards in terms of technology. As a power user, I use all 4 gigs of my ram... really disappointed!

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Apple you have seriously took a HUGE STEP Backwards in terms of technology. As a power user, I use all 4 gigs of my ram... really disappointed!

You do know that a 32 bit OS/machine can support 4gb of RAM, right? :rolleyes:

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney

I don't see how Apple "took a HUGE STEP Backwards in terms of technology" by not supporting 64-bit versions of windows at the moment.

1) Its a driver thing, they'll cross that bridge when they come to it
2) What benefit does 64-bit computing have for the general consumer right now? Even "power user's" don't really use the 64-bit functionality unless they are into really heavy SMP stuff or want to address more than 4GB's of RAM.
3) How many people actually HAVE the 64-bit version of windows?

Apple has in-fact taken A HUGE LEAP in technology by coming out with the iPhone. Whether it succeeds or fails, it will definitely shape and be a template for all smart phones that come after it.

DanB91

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
right click on itunes and go to properties, then go to compatibility and check off windows xp, see if that works

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Garbage

I think as users start to buy any new pc's they'll be 64 bit. I think this is just Apple dragging their heels - looking for more fodder to make fun of Microsoft..

Posted that first bit with the phone -- I can also think this is a bit of Apple giving MS a taste of their own medicine - "It's not finished until Vista is broken" Given the way Apple talks about MS, I wouldn't put it past them.

Regardless - I'm committed to 64 bit Windows - and I wish Apple would do the same.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
This is very sucktastic. Hopefully they will fix this soon.

I spent 2 plus hours messing with this last night.

Fortunately I finally gave up and synched on my laptop.

But they need to fix this sooner rather than later.

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
I think as users start to buy any new pc's they'll be 64 bit. I think this is just Apple dragging their heels - looking for more fodder to make fun of Microsoft..

Posted that first bit with the phone -- I can also think this is a bit of Apple giving MS a taste of their own medicine - "It's not finished until Vista is broken" Given the way Apple talks about MS, I wouldn't put it past them.

Regardless - I'm committed to 64 bit Windows - and I wish Apple would do the same.

That first bit is true, because virtually ALL new PC's being bought right now support 64-bit BUT they only come with the 32-bit versions of windows. Honestly, if you're talking about now probably only 1% of the consumer windows user base uses 64-bit. Apple does support 64-bit. Sort off, Tiger has some 64-bit extensions to be able to address more than 4GB's of RAM as well as being able to compile and run 64-bit unix programs. The only thing that is not 64-bit currently is its aqua interface which will change with Leopard. Why should Apple be committed to 64-bit Windows if Microsoft themselves aren't? If they were really serious about it, they would have made VISTA 64-bit ONLY. But then again lots of hardware vendors would complain now won't they because then they'd have to start developing 64-bit versions of drivers, and people would be even more pissed off because their old hardware will not have 64-bit drivers.

bjmpdx

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2007
64-bit Vista & iTunes

Not sure why... I have read the BLOGs, but I have Vista Home Premium 64-bit and iTunes is operating fine... with only one exception. When I plug in the iPod I will occasionally get Blue Screen and need to reboot. Yea, this is a pain, but since I know about this it is not that big of an inconvenience for now... waiting for 64-bit drivers from Apple.

jg2000

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
doesn't sound like a surprise to me, i think you'll find most of Microsofts OWN products won't work with Vista. genuises.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
doesn't sound like a surprise to me, i think you'll find most of Microsofts OWN products won't work with Vista. genuises.

Apple's own products dont work with each other as well.

notice you need min 10.4.10? what about the 10.3.9 users? oh they have to pay $120 to get their phone to work ontop of the $600.

no phone in history requires you to pay for an upgrade to your OS to get it to work.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
What's the penetration rate of all 64-bit Windows versions for home users? Maybe... 0.05%?

Apple should support it. But it's not like you can go to the store right now and buy anything you want and expect it to work in 64-bit Windows... not all that much does work in it.

In terms of the "everyone will go out and get 64-bit computers" line of reasoning... how long have 64-bit OSes and processors existed? 64-bit Unix variants came out ... what... about 12 or 13 years ago? The G5s had 64-bit processing (in certain aspects of Darwin) how long ago? And XP-64 has existed for how long? And who is stampeding out to migrate to it?

jg2000

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
Apple's own products dont work with each other as well.

notice you need min 10.4.10? what about the 10.3.9 users? oh they have to pay $120 to get their phone to work ontop of the $600.

no phone in history requires you to pay for an upgrade to your OS to get it to work.

are you KIDDING ME? 10.4 has been out for forever, it wasn't released just for iPhone. any TRUE mac user upgrades the OS when new versions come out. Everyone had plenty of time to save their pennies for that upgrade, no sympathy here, it should be a lesson learned.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
are you KIDDING ME? 10.4 has been out for forever, it wasn't released just for iPhone. any TRUE mac user upgrades the OS when new versions come out. Everyone had plenty of time to save their pennies for that upgrade, no sympathy here, it should be a lesson learned.

do you think ALL mac users are up todate with technology? ALOT of mac users are still using 10.3.x because they simply dont wish to pay over $100USD to get a new os that does nothing for them, those people can do everything they NEED to with their current OS.

i agree that the avg MAC power user will upgrade right away (i work in tech support and the tech that called me once said he upgraded all his mac's within 10 mins of 10.4.9 comming out, too bad for him 10.4.9 had compatibility issues with the software he was using)

it was said approx 25% of users still use 10.3.x

apple is forcing money out of your pockets, not all people will just look the other way

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007

yeah like the Zune, its a microsoft MP3 player yet doesnt support microsoft's OWN media protocol? (MTP)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.