Vista 64 problem on NEW macbook

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Craiger, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Has anyone been able to get vista 64 installed on the new macbook? I got it to boot to windows, but it won't install bootcamp in windows. It says "Bootcamp x64 is unsupported on this computer model." Is there anything I can do? Why isn't it supported??

Thanks for the help.

2. gyumilly macrumors member

Exactly.

I'm too disappointed!

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Drivers are there. Just execute the BootCamp64.msi located inside the disk.

4. Craiger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Have you done this? Could you be more specific on where that file is. I tried to run boocamp64 in the folder Bootcamp -> Drivers -> Apple but it says I need "elevated priveleges" and that I need to run it from "Setup".

5. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

When it says you need elevated privileges, just right click on the package and choose "run as administrator." You'll then get the UAC prompt, and click continue.

If that doesn't work, you should see a folder called "drivers." Under "Apple" you can try and run "bootcamp64.msi" if you've been trying to run "bootcamp.msi."

If you tried that and it's not working (AFTER you've run it as an administrator) go back under the driver folder. You should see multiple other folders. Go into each one (EXCEPT the ATi and Nvidia folder) and run each 64-bit installer. You can tell what is 64-bit as "64" will appear in the name of the file. You'll need to do this for each driver. Do not install the XP for 32-bit Vista drivers.

6. gyumilly macrumors member

So you really did this? I thought I went to the CD and tried to run 'bootcamp64.msi', but got this is not supported or something. I may have to try it again if you confirm this worked for you.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Yes, I have done this many times on previous systems that are not officially supported by apple to use 64-bit Windows. You do need to disable UAC to make it work.

8. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

I did it with Server 2008 64-bit on a MacBook Pro that's Apple didn't support for Vista 64-bit.

Just try it. What's the worse that can happen? It doesn't work and you're at the same exact spot you're at now?

9. iConnor macrumors member

10. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

For the most part, yes. 32 Bit does have better compatibility with older software though.

11. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

God I hope Apple gets their s**t together with the next version of Boot Camp.

12. octavariium macrumors newbie

sorry guys, i bought a macbook in late june, early july, and i wanted to play some of my pc games so i bought vista 64 bit but is giving me the "bootcamp 3.0 x64 is not compatible with this computer model" message. Im pretty new to the whole mac thing so can someone explain what i should do? I didn't really understand what to do from the previous instructions. Also, I just installed snow leopard right before i did all this so could that affect anything?

13. LOZER macrumors member

I have a simple fix for you. Open the fold instead of running it. Then double click on "Boot Camp". Then double click on "Drivers". Then double click on "Apple". Now, at the very bottom you will see "BootCamp64". Right click and select properties. Then select "Compatability" from the top. Then check the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" It should say "Previous version of Windows". The double click on the BootCamp64 at the bottom and it should run the program no problem!

14. LOZER macrumors member

Sorry I didn't notice that you bought Vista64. I am running Windows 7 64. I hope it works for you. It worked great for me. What else do you have to lose I suppose?

15. chill. macrumors 6502

do this

16. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

From the start menu type cmd and a shortcut to cmd.exe should appear above. Right click it and select "Run as Administrator". Now Assuming your optical drive is the D: drive in windows: (Hit enter after each line btw)
    Code:
    D:
    cd "Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple"
    msiexec /i BootCamp64.msi
    That's it.

Gotta give props to slughead

17. LOZER macrumors member

It wouldn't run for my 1,1 gen mac pro. Or 32 bit efi's. So this way works for that type of problem.
    I could have done it by way of cmd, but I didn't know about it yet so I just through it in there.