Vista 64bit - boot camp

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lodle, Jul 10, 2008.

1. lodle macrumors newbie

Can vista 64 bit use all 8 cores of the mac pro when running under boot camp?

And can you set how many cores vista uses if running under vm ware?

Looking at getting one end of the year but need performance on windows still.

Thanks

2. dbam987 macrumors regular

Based on the thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=430179, Vista can see both processors and all 8-cores. However, I'm not sure on if it's limited to Vista Business/Ultimate editions only.

Edit: Just to clarify, it looks like you'll need the 64-bit version of Vista Business or Ultimate to get access to all the cores. Fortunately, I think Apple recently released 64-bit drivers for Boot Camp so you should have a relatively easy path to set it all up. I intend to do the same in about 6-8 months time.

3. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

Under boot camp, yes (specific to those versions mentioned above).

I believe, at least as of now, Vmware Fusion only lets you use a max of 2 cores, even if you have more. That's generally plenty for what you'd be doing under Boot Camp, at least for me.

4. Meep macrumors member

it's also worth noting that Fusion and Parallels don't support 64 bit Vista for bootcamp as you'll either get an error saying that you cannot run 64 bit os on a 32 bit machine or just some weird text error that will then screw your windows boot files, or both..... i know i did.

Both state that they are 64 bit compatible but that is only for normal vm's and not bootcamp. I don't think it would be a very hard problem to fix though as it would appear that a bootcamp vm is just automatically set to 32 bit and i am yet to find the option to change it to 64

5. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

I have installed Vista 64 on my bootcamp partition and VMware works fine. In Vmware I can choose a maximum of 2 cores but if booted natively it supports all 8 cores whitout a problem. IIRC it's the business edition.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If you count seeing one or two BSOD's a month 'fine' among other irregularities - yeah, Vista 64 should work fine, seeing all cores and of course all the memory. However I've never seen a BSOD on my Vista 64-shipped Precisions.

7. Virtuoso macrumors regular

The restriction is on the number of physical, socketed CPUs rather than the number of cores.

Vista Business and Ultimate (and Enterprise) both support 2 CPUs, so 2 quad core processors would give you the full 8 cores. The other consumer versions of Vista support 1 CPU, giving you between 1 and 4 cores currently.

8. lodle thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i know what my next rig is going to be.

Mac pro, 8 cores 12gb ram running vista 64 and mac osx.

Should be sweet.

9. underwater macrumors member

mine too. My dual core Vista x64 + Ubunto linux is getting tried.

10. Meep macrumors member

Really? Did you have to edit the vmk file to get it to work? Or has there been an update to vmware fusion that i missed as when i last tried before i gave up an just booted into bootcamp normally it didn't.

I'm not calling you a liar or anything but like this post from March shows, it never did work http://communities.vmware.com/thread/130760

11. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

Hm, Now that you say it I remember, I did something in the vmx file, but it was nothing more than edit a line of it. IIRC correctly I put "winvista" in the line 'guestOS'... and I think it wasn't even necessary.

If you create a new VM there is an option to choose Vista x64 edition. Doesn't it work?

my Version of VMware is 1.1.3 if this can help... (see screenshot)

Attached Files:

12. Meep macrumors member

ah ok, i'm running the v2 beta as i thought that it might have enable 64 bit boot camp support, i tried deleting and recreating my bootcamp vm and it did boot this time but then i just got er a black screen and windows explorer didn't boot. Now it's been shutting down for the past 20 minutes....

Anyway, did you find that when you booted into your bootcamp partition using boot camp after using it as an vm that you had use the windows last known good configuration thing?

Also in case you were wondering i'm running Vitsa Business x64 SP1

13. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

I also tried the v2 beta and deleted it again, but everything worked in the beta as it works in 1.1.3...

14. JBot macrumors 6502

haha
    new release?

15. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

What did windbg say?