Vista 64bit in Bootcamp and Fusion HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Fornothingelse, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Fornothingelse macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is a re-post, but I could not finnd what I needed. Recently I intalled the 64 bit version of Vista Ultimate through Bootcamp. Everything installed great, well I thought it did. So last night I tried installing VMWare Fusion off of the bootcamp drive, but it said that it's a 32bit virtual machine and that if I want to install a 64bit machine, I have to re-install the Fusion. Is this right?

Also, I tried to find the 64bit support through bootcamp, but to no look.

Can I run Vista64 through bootcamp?

Any information would be greatly apprecieated.

2. matt321 macrumors member

What version of Fusion are you running?

1.1.1 should support 64-bit Boot camp partitions....

3. yomibro macrumors regular

I actually got the same exact issue as you when I installed Fusion this past weekend, the version of Fusion that I used was a download from their website.

4. Fornothingelse thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed Fusion v1.1.1, the update that was available on their website.

Can anyone tell me where the 64bit Bootcamp files are? I think it "bootcamp64.exe?"

5. sturob macrumors regular

Bootcamp64.exe isn't actually an .exe (IIRC), but it is in \Drivers\Apple on the Leopard CDs.

One caveat about Fusion. Yes, Fusion will see a BootCamp partition. However, unless there's a way to turn it off, Fusion guts the video drivers of that partition, I would assume so that it'll run fast in a window concurrently with Leopard. It drove me crazy. If you then boot that partition, Vista thinks your MP has only a standard VGA adapter.

Is there a way to get Fusion to leave the partition alone?

Stuart

6. exabrial macrumors member

Fusion gives me the same error message. I just clicked Ok and Vista x64 ran fine. I even installed COD4 (installed, not played). I haven't tried running any heavy duty 64bit apps though, so there might sitll be some lurking problems.

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I got a interesting question...

What happens if your Bootcamp partition is formatted NTFS?
    I know in MacOSX, you can read it however can't write to it, therefore unable to make changes... How about in Fusion, can it and does it write?

8. exabrial macrumors member

I'll go with the thread Hijack.... OSx can read the bootcamp partition, but unless there's a NTFS FUSE project for OSx that I don't know about (there probably is), than write access is out.

Fusion does not read or write the drive. It sets up a virtual computer and says, "here you go windows, now sit, ok.... now go over to that partition and boot. Good windows, boot windows, go." Then it translates them to OSx syscalls.

The operating system running virtually (Windows) has the necessary programming and drivers to read the file system, just for itself though.

Case in point: I have Vista x64 running (because Aspyr is slow on getting COD4 ported) The only option for the boot drive is NTFS.

9. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

I can drag files from OSX to Windows using VMWARE, and it just puts the file on the NTFS partition. No problem.

--Erwin

10. macbaj macrumors newbie

On bootcamp detection fusion assumes 32bit OS. You have to go into your home directory Library/Application Support/VMWare/Boot Camp (or something like that. . . I can't recall the exact path. . .my mac is at home right now) and in there you will find a .vmx file. . . open that file with a text editor and change the guestos to winvista-64 or something like that.

It's been a while since I did this and I'm pulling it all from memory. . . but it should point you in the right direction, so you can post specifics later.

11. Sannekita macrumors regular

Sannekita

I know it's actually the best when you format bootcamp to NTFS! I didn't do that when i was installing windows. when the installation was almost complete, my computer just stopped working, didn't do anything anymore but say "disk error, press any key" it wouldn't react to anything. I called the apple centre and they guided me through deinstalling windows and departition my harddrive. Thank God the computer was new, so i didn't loose any files, but when windows ask you to format, the best is to choose NTFS the apple guy told me, if you don't sometimes the Mac'll have problems knowing what system to boot in.

12. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

NTFS is indeed superior to FAT in many ways. It's faster, more reliable, and can handle larger files. Fortunately there are solutions that enable you to write to NTFS (MacFuse, for example), although I'm not sure how reliable these are. (Never tried it)

--Erwin

13. Fornothingelse thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try that when I get home. Thanks,

Randy