Vista 8800GT drivers under Boot Camp (x64)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DH Miller, Mar 9, 2008.

1. DH Miller macrumors newbie

I just got Vista Ultimate x64 running under Boot Camp (under 10.5.2) and want to improve the graphics. FYI - sees my 16 GB RAM, network, and sound card, but not any of the drives on my MacPro (any thoughts on that?) Can I install the NVidia Windows Vista 64x bit drivers while running Vista under Boot Camp? Any down side?
    Thanks much.
    Dennis

2. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

In bootcamp, the machine behaves as any other PC, so yes, you can download the drivers without any problem.

In fact, downloading the drivers from nvidia is pretty much obligatory - you'll see performance that blows Apple's drivers away, as these drivers are frequently updated.

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I agree in principle, but regarding the 8800 GT drivers, the Mac Pro '08's drivers on the restore DVD are not old. If you manually download the newest Vista drivers (both x86 and x64) you'll find that they are only partly (not all software is updated) slightly newer, and that performance on games like Half Life 2 (Direct X 9.0c) and Crysis demo (Direct X 10) are very similar.
    But, it is very good practice to update the drivers of newer grfx cards as frequently as you can. The drivers from nVidia now (which are from December '07) may not be that a significant an upgrade, but the next ones probably will.

4. DH Miller thread starter macrumors newbie

Vista 8800GT plus other Boot Camp/x64 issues

Thanks for the help. Also, I was looking at the Boot Camp docs and it seems that all the Mac drivers on the Leopard disk are for 32-bit Windows. So can I use those (Apple keyboard, most especially) under Vista x64? My keyboard at present doesn't allow me to use a lot of functions (eject disc and Cut/Copy/Paste key commands, for example)... Is it okay to load the drivers off the Leopard install disc under Vista x64?

Another issue - I installed a 64 bit version of my animation software and plugged in all the needed reg codes and serials. But after I quit Vista under Boot Camp and restarted it later the same day, all the serials were gone and I had top type the all in again. Anyone know of an issue with this?

Thanks again.
    D.

5. 617arg macrumors 6502

I'm having a similar issue with Autocad. Mine seems to lose the license in Fusion, and even in Bootcamp if I try to switch between Bootcamp and Fusion. I'm not sure what software you use, but from what I've read this has to do with the authentication Autodesk uses.

6. DH Miller thread starter macrumors newbie

Vista 8800GT

I was given a fix: right click the program icon and chose Properties, then set the properties to Run as Administrator (assuming you have same).
    That worked for me - all my serials are now sticking across sessions.
    An alternate might be to set the compatibility mode to Win XP/98 or some such - but I didn't need to do that.
    Good luck!
    BEst.
    d