Vista and airport Extreme help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dobbs2, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

Ok went out and bought the AEBS setup my wireless network and guest network. I also bought a seagate external hdd.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218065495073

I cant get it to be recognized on my network. I'm currently using a Vista Home premium 64 bit desktop. I don't have the mackbook pro currently handy. I can't seem to get the hdd to show up on my network. It shows up in the airport utility as a 933gb seagate...., but doesn't show up anywhere else. I enabled file sharing with accounts and can't seem to figure this out.

2. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Did you format the external or hook it up right out of the box?

3. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Um I plugged it in to my vista desktop and started setting up folders. Then I plugged it in to the aebs and it recognized it in the utility but not the actual network.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

The USB drive MUST be formatted in HFS+ to work with the AEBS. You will need a Mac to do this as Windows is too dumb to deal with it.

5. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Mac OS X can't format NTFS, one if not the most widely used formats because of Windows; so it must be pretty stupid too.

Reformat the drive to HFS+ (you may have to switch partition table from Master Boot Record to GUID to do so). Windows isn't reading/writing directly to the disk, so the Mac only format will work.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

MacFUSE solves the problem for free. No such option in Windows for HFS+

7. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I didn't mention that on purpose because it's not all that stable and isn't nearly as good as any of the "normal" formats. If you don't eject a disk properly with that software, you have a much greater chance to damage/lose all of your data on it moreso than any other (which is to say, it will happen). That's more of a problem with NTFS in general, but it is only exasperated by using that software.

8. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok took it back and just bought the 1tb time capsule. Everything works for the most part. I can read and write to the networked hdd from my pc. The only thing is on this one I can't get my printer to show up. I had it connected via ethernet and nothing registered. I then tried usb and it recognizes it on the time capsule, but when I go to print from the windows machine it asks me to save as a xps file and then does nothing.