Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lockdown571

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
My new macbook pro and Vista ultimate box are currently in transit to my home. What I plan on doing is putting vista on boot camp and also running that boot camp partition as a virtual machine through either vmware fusion or parallels. I was wondering, has that nasty reactivation been problem solved when running vista as a boot camp partition and as a virtual machine?

nospamboz

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2006
I was wondering, has that nasty reactivation been problem solved
when running vista as a boot camp partition and as a virtual machine?

If you look on the community forum for VMWare Fusion ...

http://www.vmware.com/mac

... you'll find lots of people in that boat.

Short answer: no. Longer answer: Vista bootcamp partition VM is
experimental in Fusion Beta 4, and the release notes warn about the
activation problem.

Hey, what do you expect from running beta software (Fusion) on
other beta software (Bootcamp)?

I waiting for the official releases to try that setup. I've already pre-ordered
Fusion, but I'll wait to pre-order Leopard.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Parallels had an issue that was fixed many builds ago. Their latest release (3.0) supports booting a Boot Camp copy of Vista in the virtual machine.

I have Vista Ultimate running this way just fine. Every once in a while, running it in Parallels, it complains that it's not genuine, but it runs just fine, no reduced functionality or anything. (And if I go to the MS 'Is it Genuine' website, it passes the test, and the message goes away.)

lockdown571

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Well everything is here (huzzah!). I never could get vmware fusion to work (it would just hang up whenever it tried to install the tools), but I tried parallels 3.0 and it's working perfectly. I was never asked to reactivate when running the boot camp partition as a virtual machine nor was I told that my copy of windows was not genuine. Full screen works, coherence works, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.