Vista Black Screen of Death Mac ad

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by cube, Jan 23, 2009.

1. cube macrumors G4

Apple needs to make an ad about Vista's Black Screen of Death that renders your computer unusable, and with an install disk unable to fix it, short of scrapping everything.

One buys Vista without knowing about this crap.

M$ == the same garbage as always

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

We've been using Vista on two HPs since June and have never had this black screen that you are writting about.

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

It happened to my co-worker on his personal PC, all of a sudden his screen started flashing and went black, he was finally able to restart but it kept happening. when trying to re-install vista the screen kept going black. At first he thought his graphics was shot after checking all connections and making sure his monitor was fine. finally he went online with his wife's computer and saw a bunch of threads about this. He ended up installing XP and calling it a day.

4. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Wait, you're saying there can be a software error that destroys your hardware?! That's absolutely ridiculous if that's what you're saying.

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

F.U.D.

Stop spreading it.

I've used Vista enough to know its not as bad as some people make it out to be.

6. tuneup macrumors member

I use vista at work and it seems pretty stable. The one thing about it that I do find interesting is that whenever you use a program it asks the screen goes black then asks if you want to use it...a little odd....

7. Arcadie macrumors regular

Finally they fixed the blue screen of death! all this time and all they had to do was make it black! Brilliant!

maybe next decade they can fix the black screen of death by making it green :)

8. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Yeah that does get annoying, it fades everything in background and brings up that security thing asking if you want to run it or not. Seems a little too over-the top at times, I'm sure theres a way to disable it for certain apps (if not, thats a huge mistake).

9. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Or make it red so it matches the Xbox 360 red ring of death

10. cube thread starter macrumors G4

It's not FUD. It happens to a lot of people and you don't know until it happens to you.

11. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Id be interested to see this 'software failure' that bricks all the hardware in a PC....

I call smoke......

why isnt this publicised more on the net then?

Sorry just not buying this without some reputable sources and evidence.

(Ive been using vista since beta, and on so many diff machines (say about 18 and I have yet to see one of them have a problem anywhere near this bad).

12. cube thread starter macrumors G4

I didn't say it bricks the hardware. The installation can only be repaired if you had a restore point (which naive users don't know about) or in some cases with registry hacking. There seem to be multiple causes and many people cannot repair.

I have found posts from people with this problem dating as far back as 2007.

And the Vista DVD does not have "Upgrade Install" unlike XP. To "upgrade" Vista, you have to be running Vista.

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Apple won't make an ad around it because it'd veer ever further from their current BS ads into total fiction.

14. cube thread starter macrumors G4

So, not only is this site filled with Apple fanboys, microserfs roam it as well.

15. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Oh Cool!!! Microsoft has changed the color!! It used to be the blue screen of death many years ago. :D

16. cube thread starter macrumors G4

It doesn't have text. It's a black screen with a movable cursor.

17. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Oh I'm sure they do. Were you referring to someone in particular?

18. VoR macrumors 6502a

Don't fiddle with your drivers and you won't have an unstable system.
    Don't fiddle with your drivers and you won't break your system.

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

nearly got that rhyming, better luck next time :p haha. you should have tried "missed them" or something

20. cube thread starter macrumors G4

So, running Windows Update qualifies as fiddling?

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I still have never seen this black screen.

I did get a physical memory dump blue screen. I had so much stuff open without rebooting for a few months, this 2GB ram laptop, that it was starved for memory. It was upgraded from XP to Vista Premium. I started up the compter once again and it's been fine since. My other Vista laptop has 4GB ram and it rarely has any memory problems. Vista is pretty solid these days.

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

pretty much, its vista we are talking about here. one wrong move and BAM its all going slow and being a pain in the ass.

23. couto27 macrumors 6502