Vista blue screens on login

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by John Jacob, Nov 7, 2008.

1. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I have a new two day old baby, I mean, MacBook. I have partitioned it into two partitions, one for Leopard and one for Vista.

Leopard works just perfectly. But Vista... well, that stinking pile of **** is another story altogether. I installed Vista just fine, and used Windows update to get it up to date. I installed just a few additional pieces of software: Microsoft Office 2007, Quake 4, Firefox, Google Talk, Yahoo Messenger and Windows Live Messenger. I then tried to install McAfee Viruscan, and while the install was going on, without warning, I got a blue screen. Hard power off, and boot again into Windows, choosing normal boot and not safe mode. The login screen appears normally. I enter my password and login. Within a few seconds, blue screen again. Repeat again, same result. I could boot into safe mode and try to repair the problem, but the fact is that I don't trust it any more. So I'll have to format and reinstall.

Anyways, the moral of the story is that Vista can't hold a candle to Mac OS X. :D

2. cg165 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

sorry that you had a bad experience, but vista 64 bit flies for me. I originally had a big problem because of apples nvidia drivers that came through the bootcamp drivers but I uninstalled those and went to laptopvideo2go to get their drivers. Download the driver, then download the modded inf file and take that inf and replace the original one in the driver directory, install, restart and see what you get then.

3. cg165 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

oh yeah, don't use mcafee, use avg anti virus (free) and lavasoft (anti spyware). Also if you're using 64 bit then make sure your programs support it. Although you can run 32 bit as well.

4. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Looks you'll have to delete and redo Vista all over again. However instead of using McAfee virus scan I would go with some of the similar if not better free solutions like AVG Free or avast!.

5. John Jacob thread starter macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I'm using Vista 32-bit. Vista 64 is not officially supported on the new MacBooks, only on the Pros. I'm quite sure McAfee had somethingt to do with the problem. The only reason I used McAfee was because my University has a free sitewide license for. So yeah, I'm going to reinstall Vista, and this time I'll try some other antivirus.

6. peschybear macrumors newbie

I'm having similar problems

I've bought an alu MacBook 2,0 GHz. Tried to install Windows XP SP2, but without success. The system became unresponsive (keyboard and mouse went numb) when I needed to choose ENTER to continue, R to repair and F3 to Quit.
    Installed Vista Basic instead and everything seemed to work fine during installation. Now, when I try to play a game in Vista, I always get a blue screen with the IRQL not less or equal error. Maybe this is caused by the external mouse and keyboard I'm using, this is something I'm going to check. But if somebody has suggestions what can cause this (I know it's a driver issue) on the new MacBooks (I have no problems with Vista on my Mac Pro), please post them.
    Tx.