Vista Boot Camp Software Raid

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by .macstiled, May 8, 2008.

1. .macstiled macrumors member

Hello.

I'd like to set up a separate 3-drive striped software Raid0 solution in Vista to increase write performance for FRAPS capturing, but need guidance on how to proceed, please.

mac pro 8-core 2.8GHz "Early 2008" 14GB RAM WD 640GB x4

Drive1 - Mac OS 10.5.2 / Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit (Boot Camp 2.1)

Drive2 - Striped Raid0 1/3
    Drive3 - Striped Raid0 2/3
    Drive4 - Striped Raid0 3/3

The 3 latter drives is what I'm trying to configure, but don't know how to do so for my Vista partition. Is this even possible? If so, does Vista have this built-in capability, or would I need to download a third-party software raid utility? Please advise. Thank you.

2. .macstiled thread starter macrumors member

After finally figuring it out, and about to create the striped drive, Logical Disk Manager had this to say:

"The dynamic disks are not supported by this operating system."

At least now I know why it was so hard to find information anywhere concerning this. Anyway, fyi.

3. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Get a copy of Windows Server 2008 - it should work fine.

4. techbri macrumors newbie

Louden,

So you are saying that if I install Windows Server 2008 in bootcamp, that I can create software raid data partiitons? I wish that bootcamp supported hardware or software raid and allowed for the System/Active partition to exist on a raid array.

5. m1stake macrumors 68000

Lucky for you that Vista (Or Server 2008) doesn't require a separate driver disk for RAID. I would assume you already have the disks in soft RAID under OSX? If so, that's your problem. You need hard RAID, which requires a RAID card, which doesn't let you bootcamp :(

catch 22 ;d

6. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

Just to clarify this:

We cannot use parallel hard drive in Vista 64-bit under Bootcamp. RAID for OS X only. Am i right?

7. techbri macrumors newbie

Lets suppose that I had additional disks in my Mac Pro that are not configured in OSX at all. Is there any conceivable way to setup soft/hard raid and build a bootcamp partition on the array?

8. m1stake macrumors 68000

I would assume so. You would mess up your OSX soft RAID if you tried putting ANOTHER RAID on top of it, but if the hard drives are different I would guess that you could. Unfortunately I've never used Bootcamp, but from what I understand you can format a second hard disk entirely for Windows, so I don't see why you couldn't set up a soft RAID array in that.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

http://www.caldigit.com/RAIDCard/