vista+ bootcamp + parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rockos, Apr 15, 2007.

1. rockos macrumors member

I have searched and searched and havenot come up with an answer. so here goes.

I purchased my first macbook last week. I also bought with it parallels. Well i installed bootcamp and installed vista ultimate version. works perfect as far so bootcamp etc.

well i want to install parallels so i can also if need be just run vista within osx. when i try and install paralles he asked me to go and install vista again...even if i cry the dos screen comes up and sais boot from hd...failed
    boot from cd failed.

so i can not install and get parallels to work. if i reboot the computer i can boot fine through bootcamp..

but would love for parallels to also work...what am i missing thanks guys

rockos

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I had a bit of trouble understanding your post, however, I will mention something that may be relevant. Parallels does not currently support booting a Windows Vista Boot Camp installation in a VM. You will need to install Vista separately in order to use it under Parallels. In the future, they will probably add support for a Vista Boot Camp installation.

3. rockos thread starter macrumors member

so is it possible to use vista+ bootcamp + parallels?

i know i can install bootcamp then install vista

i know if i did a clean osx install i can first install parallels then instal vista.

so how do I install all three vista, boot camp, and parallels and use them. use them buy when i boot the macbook i can hold the options key and boot into vista or osx....or in osx open parrallels and run vista?

thanks

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You can only use it under Parallels and Boot Camp if you have separate installations for both. The Boot Camp installation will use a physical partition, and the Parallels installation will use a virtual disk image. You will have two distinctly separate installations of Windows Vista.

5. rockos thread starter macrumors member

at this point which is better...just use the bootcamp or use parallels. thanks

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It depends what you need Windows to do. If you need it for tasks requiring 3D accelleration, such as gaming, you will need to do it under Boot Camp. If you don't then I'd recommend just using Parallels. Have you already purchased a copy of Parallels? If not, I recommend trying VMWare Fusion. It is just as good in almost all ways, and in some ways it's better than Parallels. It also happens to be free while in the beta phase.

7. rockos thread starter macrumors member

i do own parallels. i will mostly use vista for IE and windows messenger live. I use both of those programs for work. certain websites security only accepts IE. and of course I have lots of friends internationally so msn live works great. i know I could use amsn but since i have to use windows for IE might as well use MSN live as well. sounds like I should actually just use parallels right?

rockos

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Yes. Stick with Parallels.

9. ViralMatt macrumors newbie

Yeah

Im installing vista ultimate on my 20 inch 2.4gz 2gb ram iMac today, im a bit worried about doing it, but when its done, i think it will look great. If you guys need any help installing vista or any operating system on Bootcamp, or VMWare Fusion, or Parralels Message me and i will be glad to help.