Vista Business not installing on dynamic (RAID0) drive volume

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gugucom, Aug 11, 2009.

1. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I have successfully striped two SSDs in Vista Business-64 on my MacPro1,1. I have used Vista's data carrier administration program for this.

As expected the array isn't recognized in OS X. So I cannot just dump a Winclone image on the array. That would have been much to nice! :rolleyes:

My next strategy was a total backup with Vista's own backup program on another HDD. That went without a hitch. I then hoped that booting the Vista install DVD with the backup drive present and the RAID0 array would allow me to restore the backup on the RAID array. Unfortunately Vista will not recognize the array running of the install DVD. Loading AHCI or IMSM drivers will not change this situation.

It appears that you have to make the dynamic data carrier active if you want to install Vista on it. Unfortunately the data carrier admin program will not let me do this. I would do it in DISKPART if I knew it was possible and how to do it.

So the question is does anybody know how to install Vista Business to a dynamic data carrier? If I cannot figure out this soft RAID0 I will ave to buy a RAID controller which I thought I might avoid at this point.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

There's a solution I use, called Acronis True Image 2009. It works rather well, and it also has a boot disk you create with it that's Linux (Debian IIRC). It allows you to restore backups (total trashed), operate with clones, and even partition drives. It works well with Vista (not so much with XP with this version).

What I don't know, is if it will have a problem with the Mac's firmware. They do offer a free trial, so check it out. Worth a shot. ;)

3. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

5. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

Thx, I bought a RAID controller but I do not get it to work with Windows at the moment. See other thread.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Did you try making the Boot Image, and going that way (it uses Debian Linux, and it should have EFI boot support)?

If not, I know it can be done, but it wouldn't be that easy (modding the boot disk, and reburning a new one w/ GRUB EFI). GRUB EFI

I'll take a look at the thread.