vista changed my airport id!?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shiunn, May 29, 2007.

1. shiunn macrumors 6502

ppl,
    i've just installed vista using bootcamp, and somehow, my airport id was changed. anyone know why? and how?
    the good news is....after months of agony being tied down by the ethernet cable, i can finally reconnect via airport to my router once again.
    praise be to vista! or bootcamp....

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm not really sure what you're talking about mate. Is there still a problem? Do you mean the name of the AirPort network when you say AirPort ID? :)

3. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

no, i'm talking about the mac address. does this usually happen at all?

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

No! The mac address is something that is hard-wired in a rom in your airport or ethernetcard and should be unique.

5. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

wait..you're right. I didn't know what i was talking about...
    i'm still having some trouble with my airport though...guess its not a complete fix.

6. applecow macrumors member

lol no idea what you are talking about.

um if you ran on Vista, it might have reset it due to a default ID Vista has set up on you. Since bootcamp is runned independently of OSX, your OSX settings for your ID might not transfer over.

7. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

applecow and all the rest,

my airport has not been working for a few months now. but in bootcamp vista, it will work just fine! so that's that. And if i restart from vista into tiger, my airport will still be connected, and everything is sweet.
    so that's the good news. The bad news is that, when i'm in tiger, if i put my macbook to sleep or shut down for some time, the airport connection will be lost, and I'll not be able to initiate another connection until i restart into vista.
    phuuuh, everyone still with me?
    what's the problem with my tiger?