Vista Corrupted

Discussion in 'macOS' started by n-abounds, Oct 8, 2007.

1. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

So I installed Vista on Boot Camp, and was running the Apple driver cd. The installation froze and I eventually had to give in an manually shut it down. When I tried to restart it, Vista says that there are disk errors (and the Vista cd can't repair them).
    So I figured I'd erase the partition and start over, but I can't erase the partition. In Mac OSX, under Disk Utility the "erase" button is not able to be pressed...
    Anyone know what's going on? I tried to use Boot Camp Assistant to remove the Vista partition and that didn't work either. Need help!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you probably shouldnt have hard reset vista when you were installing the boot camp drivers. when i was installing the the 1.4 drivers on my macbook pro core duo there were a few errors and the isight drivers didnt install properly. it looked like it was frozen but i just left it and it eventually finished.
    disk utility cant erase the boot camp partition becuase its NTFS and os x cannot write to this format.

startup with the vista dvd and continue to install like normal but choose custom install. select your boot camp partition and format it (youll loose all the data on the boot camp partition which is i suppose what you want). then just install vista again. the vista installer might tell you that it needs another NTFS disk to write to during the installation. if thats the case then just format a spare flash drive or another disk on your mac to NTFS

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can delete the partition just fine even if it is NTFS. If you want to return your hard disk to its original state run the Boot Camp Assistant again. Otherwise just reinstall Windows and start over again.

4. nigrunze macrumors regular

Start your computer. Hold Option to select a startup volume. Select the Windows Vista DVD. Install it the same way you did the first time, formatting the same partition erasing whatever you had in that partition.

When you get Windows fully installed again, run the Mac Drivers Disc again but this time wait for it to finish and hopefully it won't freeze.

Just so you know, if you have Macintosh HD chosen as your startup disc, you'll need to hold option to boot from the Windows partition once your computer restarts. If the Startup Disk is set to Windows, you won't need to do anything to get back to the setup.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you cant erase a windows NT filesytem in disk util. i guess you could use boot camp assitant to remove partition and then make another one but the user may report a problem in which boot camp assistant cannot create another partition as blocks may be in the way. in this case youd have to use idefrag to move the blocks out the way to create another NTFS partition but this requires purchasing another app.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

which is pretty much wat i said in the second post... no?

7. nigrunze macrumors regular

At first I thought that you were suggesting to start the installer from Windows. Upon reading it again, yeah, same as what I suggested. I don't think Vista'll need a spare drive to write to, but I could be wrong.